Millennium - Moment vs Moment

Rate this topic

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43229629.jpg

Hi folks,

I thought it might be fun to have a series of moments versus moments and to begin with I wanted to pick two classic staircase moments from the show for you to choose from. The first is the scene in "Lamentation" which sees the nefarious Lucy Butler reveal her true self to Bob Bletcher as she descends the stairs. Up against that we have Lara Means ascending the stairs after bidding a good night to The Old Man and paving the way for his assignation in "Roosters". Two very memorable scenes I am sure you will agree both with fairly far reaching consequences for the show as both heralded the exits of two very enjoyable characters.

So it's over to you folks.

Moment vs moment.

Take your pick.

Eth

It was absolutely heart-wrenching to see either one of the characters leave the show, Bob Bletcher and The Old Man. The only reason my choice is Bob Bletcher is because he and Frank were best friends. Frank had become close to The Old Man, but no other man friend could be as close to Frank as Bob was, and I remember having tears in my own eyes when his character was killed. :ouroborous:

I have to say I was conflicted. On the one hand the sight of Lucy Butler descending the stairs and revealing her true form (not to mention the loss of the wonderful Bob Bletcher) is a pivotal moment in a wonderful episode and yet I opted for Lara's ascent and this isn't born out of a single-minded Lara fixation which I admit I possess. The Old Man is one of the most memorable Millennium characters for me. The wise old sage who stands at the heart of the divisions that have engulfed the Millennium Group whilst retaining the only true vestiges of what The Millennium Group once was is such an endearing idea and one who was brilliantly portrayed with such pathos at the heart of him that when he was killed I truly didn't see it coming and felt his loss keenly. I really did think his story would be unravelled in further episodes and to some degree I still lament that it wasn't. Bob was a superb character, no doubt about it, but he never inspired the same sense of wonder and interest that The Old Man did for me hence my choice.

Keep your votes coming people. :clapping:

Eth

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

This is a hard choice, i love Lara and The Old Man and i love Lucy Butler too. :) I think I pick Lucy Butler only because its scary and creepy looking . :)

Laura :)

Pffft. I think the Old Man dying upset me more, simply because of the fact I feel he had a grounding effect on Frank. Perhaps if TOM (I'm bein lazy now) wasn't killed at the end of Roosters, Frank would have stayed with the Group and parts of season 3 wouldn't have sucked the way it did?

Interesting thoughts. It would seem It's pretty much neck and neck in terms of who considers which scene to be the most powerful. I guess the moral of the story is is that if a staircase is featured prominently in an episode of Millennium, then the recurring cast ought to consider scouting for work. :whistling:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts folks, I''ll see if I can add another Millennium Moment to the discussion later today.

Eth

I picked the Lara one, since I never thought it was THAT scary, the Lucy Butler thing.

It struck me recently as I was doing a video montage, Lara should have known something bad was going to happen to The Old Man. While she didn't see her angel, but there was this moment with the match and her eyes just before The Old Man knocked on her door in the beginning of Roosters. So, if she understood her gift more, she could have prevented this. Where was she staying, did she just go somewhere else or was she staying in the yellow house as well?

Josef, I have the same questions regarding Lara. Where did Lara sleep? Did she know what was about to happen and also knew that there was nothing she could do about it. Did the Old Man know as well, and knew that there was nothing he could do about it? I totally agree that Lara didn't understand her gift well enough for it to be useful. I think she may have depended upon her angel too much, and then when the angel wasn't there, she had no clue what was going on, and as we know, she eventually lost her sanity, temporary or permanent, we have no clue. :ouroborous:

It's also stated by her that the presence of her angel alerted her to danger but didn't provide her with any insight into what the danger was, when it would happen or who it would happen to. In essence that was what was so destabilising about the experience, it simply served to say "be scared, be very scared" and then disappear again. In all honesty even if she had perceived the angel prior to The Old Man's death then there was plenty happening at the time that she could be lead to thinking it was forewarning her of.

Eth

Yeah, I know all that. But, just that it happened JUST before The Old Man knocked on her door...but there have been other instances where it's when she's on her way somewhere, like in Monster and Anemnasisn (although that was a different thing).