Micheal R Perry's "The River"

ethsnafu

Hi folks,

It's no secret how much of an admirer I am of Micheal R. Perry's work and news has just reached me that he has teamed up with Oren Peli (creator of Paranormal Activity) to pen a new TV series that will adopt a similar found-footage premise involving disappearances connected to the Amazon river called "The River". Dreamworks is near a deal at ABC whereby the pilot must be produced, otherwise a penalty is incurred. Apparently the network aggressively pursued the project, edging out also-interested NBC.

This is sensational news as far as I'm concerned and I know that you will join with me in wishing him well and by supporting the show when it comes to the screens. I will keep my ear close to the ground to ensure you get all the latest news on developments as it happens.

There have been a number of media announcements of late that have perked me up and this is just the icing on the cake. :clapping:

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news isn't it Joe. I can't seem to find any confirmation that this is a genre project but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is. My guess (and if I were a betting man I might wager a copper coin on this) is that this will be more "Cloverfield" than "Paranormal Activity". I think the Amazon as a location lends itself perfectly to a cryptozoological storyline.

Whatever it is it can't come quick enough for me.

Eth

josew.gif

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Oh i cant wait for this, i hope it makes it. :) Anything crypto would be great. :)

Thanks Eth for bringing this to our attention. :)

Laura :)

Oh me too Laura and the fact that's a series is what is so exciting. I've been missing something worthy of investing my time in of late and the schedules have been decidedly genre free at least in the UK. I hope they go all out as much as possible to scare the living daylights out of us.

Here's a little more information about the plot of the show from ign.com

Eth

Oren Peli, the writer-director of Paranormal Activity, is bringing his found-video style to the small screen with The River, "a cinema verite-style thriller drama."

Deadline has the news on the project, which presumably is of no relation to the Mel Gibson film of the same name. ABC picked up the proposed series after a bidding war with NBC, with DreamWorks' TV division (the studio that first discovered Peli) producing along with ABC Studios.

"According to one description of the project floating around," says Deadline, "The River follows the story of a famed adventurer/TV personality who goes missing and is presumed dead deep in the Amazon. His friends and crew go to look for him on their state-of-the-art research vessel. You don't have to have seen Paranormal Activity to suspect that many on that trip will soon regret taking it..."

So it's like a Werner Herzog picture, but set on a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea type boat? And with monsters and ghosts and whatnot? Cool.

Peli came up with the premise along with TV scribe Michael R. Perry (Law & Order: SVU), who also happens to be writing Paranormal Activity 2. Perry will write the pilot and Peli may direct (he's also executive-producing).

josew.gif

It does indeed sound great. The words 'bidding war' are music to my ears. It certainly seems like this is a hot product I know we'll all be doing our very best to support it.

Finally, television to look forward to.

Eth

josew.gif