The Ninth Configuration

Earthnut

I watched "The Ninth Configuration" last night for about the ga-zillionth time since its original release in 1980. It's one of my favorites. It's about:

A new commanding officer arrives at a remote castle serving as an insane asylum for crazy and AWOL U.S. Army soldiers where he attempts to rehabilitate them by allowing them to live out their crazy fantasies while combating his own long-suppressed insanity.

The front and back cover of the DVD case say the following:

Front:

A metaphysical murder mystery, a gothic war movie and a cosmic love story. You have never seen anything quite like it.

Back:

In an experimental government center for troubled Vietnam veterans, the inmates run the asylum. One works on an adaptation of Shakespeare...for dogs. Another fancies himself a caped superhero. Still others masquerade as frogmen, nurses, nuns, pirates, doctors. Yet the psychiatrist in charge eyes all with a stoic reserve. Maybe too stoic: there's a mystery here. And its fial resolution is like a thundercap.

Trust me, I have not ruined the movie for anyone, not even with the featurette, and they're right, it is very different, and very good. It's from the creator of The Exorcist and stars Stacy Keach, Scott Wilson, and Jason Miller, Ed Flanders, Neville Brand, George DiCenzi, Moses Gunn, and Robert Loggia. I recommend it if you are looking for weird entertainment, yet very good, especially the acting.

Here's the featurette of this aware winning film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itB1iFU-8Xk&feature=related

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, no comments. Is there anyone out there that has seen this movie besides me? :confused:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest arcanamundi

Wow, no comments. Is there anyone out there that has seen this movie besides me? :confused:

Oh yeah! And I read the book too, ages ago: 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Killer Kane.' Pretty heavy, as I recall, but also pretty funny. A curious combo of drama and humor. I want to read Blatty's recent story, a ghost story, I forget the title, and its hard to find for some reason.

I haven't seen it Darlene. I am remiss on that front. That said I did read Blatty's last book Dimiter and it was absolutely superb. He proclaimed that surpassed "The Exorcist" and as there is such love in my heart for that book I knew I would never agree, however it is well worth a read and deals with Blatty's usual preoccupations of spiritual faith. I'll be sure to try and track this down and give it a well deserved viewing.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png