Quagmire

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

Felt inspired to start a new thread for the third season episode "Quagmire" (which originally aired on FOX in May 1996), following reading Mark's post in the "X Files lives on in British Columbia" thread in the TIWWA folder The Other Side of Reality:

I particularly enjoyed the section that dealt with the chap who claims to have seen Ogopogo 12 times. I am sure people will recall the use of that cryptid in the X-Files episode "Quagmire". I read recently the the late Kim Manners didn't rate that particular episode highly but when I think back to the early days of the X-Files it is one I recall with considerable fondness. The scenes of Mulder and Scully doing nothing more than talking are wonderfully written.

Eth

"Quagmire" was one of the best of the early episodes! Remember Scully's dog which made it's debut in an earlier episode from that season? And you think I can remember the name of the episode? :laugh:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Richard, I just saw the episode last night where Scully ends up with the dog, that belonged to the old woman that lived across the hall from the character played by Peter Boyle. The episode is, "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose." An excellent episode from season 3. The clairvoyant, played by Peter Boyle, has the ability to predict people's death, and in this episode, predicted Mulder's death. Thank goodness Mulder and Scully were paying attention at the time he gave the prediction. :whistling:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

And didn't the fans go mental when Clyde said Scully didn't die and everyone took this to mean she was immortal. Oh how we wondered.

Back to the episode in question mind. Quagmire is great. It isn't a particularly strong episode in terms of the idea behind it. A lake with a monster in it is a little uninspired but it shines because of the dialogue which is so superb.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Actually, it wasn't a lake that the "monster" was in, it was the sewer system. If I remember correctly, Mulder believed that it was created by man's pollution.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

I think you're thinking of Flukeman Darlene from the Darin Morgan penned episode "The Host", he was the creepy critter who lived in the sewers. Big Blue was thought to be a monster in a lake in Georgia in the episode "Quagmire" though it was concluded that it was merely an alligator and Scully and Mulder left at just the right moment to avoid seeing the real monster take a dive in the lake. Or something like that. :oneeyedwinK

Eth

josew.gif

Guest WaveCrest

There were a good bunch of episodes at the tail-end of the third season, and visually "Quagmire" was memorable (I remember the fishing shop Mulder and Scully went into, the shot of Scully with the umbrella, and the dialogue scene between Mulder and Scully at the lake).

Yep, I'm thinking of the port-a-potty "Host" monster. I think therefore from now on I will find a bush. :whistling:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

The Flukeman is one of the most memorable MOTW from The X-Files IMHO. It was a great example of prosthetic work so kudos to the designer.

I really like the third season of The X-Files and I have a vague memory that the rest of the world really liked it by this point as it broke out of being a niche hit and became a mainstream success. I even liked "Syzygy" which I've seen get slaughtered a time or too in reviews. I find it quite fun.

Eth

josew.gif

• 1 month later...

Season 3 was the first DVD set I bought from the show. In not having seen hardly any of that season when it aired, I was able to finally watch some top notch stuff! This was a great end of season non-conspiracy episode to change the pace a bit without getting too comical. It doesn't work quite as well the second time, but the scene on the rocks, really being on the beach, was quite funny and good.

I always wondered if the lake in Quagmire was the same "lake" used in Luminary. They look similar in in size, shoreline, and landscape. Actually, having just looked in my location book for this episode, this episode was filmed at three lakes: Pitt Lake (dock, tackle shop), Buntzen Lake (reeds, rocky shore shot), and Rice Lake (actual lake shots, most lilely used for Luminary?). The famous dialogue scene and the sinking boat were filmed in a wave pool.

:rock2: