Season 1 Ep 1 Ending felt really weak

Rate this topic

Guest Bad Boy Dazza

I do agree with everything said...however....a Pilot is designed not only to establish a show but to give a reason to the viewer to come back for more. In some ways I feel the ending is too neat and and tidy and something a little cliffhangerish would have been desirable. The show did shed a heck of a lot of viewers between the Pilot and the second episode and I wonder if that's partly because the Pilot feels so self-contained at times. Almost like a TV movie rather than the start of some ongoing mystery. Mind you, this was before the days of Lost and huge, season-long arcs that bought an audience that way. This was simply good old fashioned story telling at its very best IMHO.

Eth

• 3 years later...

I agree with OP. Development was great until finale and cliché 'shot in back by character you thought was gone' moment. The Frenchman was a great character with lots of hinted at depth, his repressed and sublimated sexuality, obsession with poetry and the marrying of poetry with scripture, very interesting. Felt like the show could go another half an hour at least but was wrapped up in a neat bow in the final two minutes through running into the killer in the same building. I love the pilot however the ending I always felt was very network tv, law and order stuff. Im a big fan of the show my biggest gripe with the first season is the finality of many of the cases: killer dead. job done. end.

That said its still an amazing hour of TV and nothing much comes close to it still.

• 2 weeks later...

The ending was the punchline to Franks " It's my gift, It's my curse" statement to Bletcher, and other things he said. When he looks up at Bletch with the pitiful tired look... It's as if he's saying "See? This is who I am, This is what it's like. This is why I had to come home."

• Like 1

Oh I really like that Seesthru! the payoff for that moment, yes I completely get that now. I also think it was a great way to connect the Frenchman to Frank in terms of occupation, meaning just a few more steps in the wrong direction... I enjoy how many of the disturbed Frank comes in contact with are shades of Frank down a different path. I am really loving being able to chat about this show, man im gutted i didnt join sooner!!!!!