Paranoia 1.0

Rate this topic

I was reading a few horror reviews today and I happened upon for a film I haven't heard of before so I settled down to find out what Paranoia 1.0 was all about. Imagine my surprise then I read the following.

Aside from Sisto, the main characters here are played by Deborah Kara Unger (Crash–the good one, not the Paul Haggis joint), Udo Kier (Suspiria), Bruce Payne (Passenger 57), Eugene Byrd (who just did a stint on Bones), and Lance Henriksen (Terminator). No one there on the A-list, but most of those actors can guarantee you a good time.

I have to confess I haven't only not heard of the film but I had no idea Lance was in it. I tracked down a copy online but wondered if any of you guys could recommend it to me? I have bought an absolute tonne of DVD's this week and probably could do without buying another if the film isn't one for muliple viewings.

Thanks folks.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

Uh, that’s a difficult question. It's not easy to give a clear and simple answer. Regarding that it's like the movie itself!

But first of all; yes, I bought that (2004) movie right after its release in late 2005. I then watched it immediately and I watched it a second time shortly after it. Since then no further viewing.

I like it, I really do. And I think it's a movie you have to (at least) looked twice since it is a bit tricky and all the performances a worth a second look. I especially liked Jeremy Sisto and Lance in it but Udo Kier, Deborah Unger and all the others are good, too.

I also understand people who didn't like it because of its style, its darkness and the somehow enigmatic plot.

If you like movies with these characteristics; go get it. Lance's character in it is supporting but kind of cool.

I hope the answer is a bit of a help. In case you have any more questions about it…

Now this sounds right up my street. I was chatting to a chum recently and I reeled of a list of movies I really enjoy and he said "..you know, nothing much happens in those films, they're all very.....conceptual.." and he's right. I tend to favour movies that are big on concept and not too bothered by those that throw millions at the screen in terms of action and effects so if this is a 'thinking man's movie' count me in. I don't know why I haven't heard of this but it seems it is another of Lance's films that has an alternate title so I may have read about it under the "One Point O" title as I genuinely can't recall ever hearing about Paranoia 1.0. I quite like Jeremy Sisto's work and thought Wrong Turn was a superb film. Another bonus I guess.

Oh in for a penny, in for a pound. I'll order just one more film this week. It is Lance after all.

Thanks for the advice.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

I don't know why I haven't heard of this but it seems it is another of Lance's films that has an alternate title so I may have read about it under the "One Point O" title as I genuinely can't recall ever hearing about Paranoia 1.0. I quite like Jeremy Sisto's work and thought Wrong Turn was a superb film. Another bonus I guess.

Oh in for a penny, in for a pound. I'll order just one more film this week. It is Lance after all.

Thanks for the advice.

Eth

You're welcome.

I knew the movie only by its original title One Point 0. Paranoia 1.0 is a new re-release name in some countries (similarities to Nazi Dawn a.k.a. Deadwater a.k.a. Black OPS are purely coincidental). The German DVD of One Point 0 -or, if you prefer, Paranoia 1.0- has some good bonus features aboard. There are a strange German intro by Udo Kier (filmed at some airport-toilet), a making-of (22 min.), deleted scenes (12 min.) and an audio-commentary track by the directors Jeff Renfroe und Marteinn Thorson. Which DVD-version are you looking for?

Regarding Sisto: the first movie I saw him starring in was a biopic about Julius Caesar and I thought he was extremely lame there. But then he was a fabulous guest star in Six Feet Under and did some good works on movies like One Point 0, Wrong Turn, Kidnapped and Unknown and he really convinced me.

Guest WaveCrest

I thought of One Point O when I saw Paranoia 1.0. Will have a look for the DVD. A good cast there with Lance, Deborah Kara Unger (has she changed how her name is billed in her films now, as on the back of the Region 2 disc for Messages Deleted she's billed as "Deborah Unger"?), Jeremy Sisto (starred in the last three seasons of Law & Order. Haven't seen Population 453 yet) and Bruce Payne I've only seen in Passenger 53.