Dark Skies

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

Thought I'd start off a separate thread for the 90's conspiracy US drama Dark Skies, which starred Eric Close, Megan Ward, J.T. Walsh and Jeri Ryan.

Quoting a post by Mark from a TIWWA thread about a list of mysterious TV shows:

I can only vaguely recall Dark Skies. Wasn't that the one that was set during the days of JFK? I seem to recall Jeri Ryan (she of the skin-tight catsuits) being an episode or two and I recall how similar the female lead was to Gillian Anderson. I definitely remember it being an X-Files clone but not very much beyond that. I might have to check it out. Thanks for jogging my memory. :clapping:

Eth

Dark Skies lasted one season on ABC and at time was seen by some as a rival to The X Files. It is getting a Region 2 UK release on Monday 18th October, 2010 from MediumRare Entertainment.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sidewinder

Well, I said a lot about the show in the other topic. And it's all true. :biggrin: But let me quote myself:

[...] They started where the x-files ended. Fox and Dana hunted the truth all these years and John and Kim found the truth by the middle of the pilot episode. They fought the invasion, they fought the conspiracy- and then got a part of it.

I found the idea very appealing that they combined historical incidents with the alien invasion in a way that let you think "Pah, its fiction- isn't it?". And it was a bit of the Babylon 5-factor: a show rolled out for a five year-plot which will guide you through four decades to today.

Plus: they had a fabulous cast (supporting actors like J.T. Walsh in one of his last roles and Connor O'Farrell and Tim Kelleher as cool good bad guys or bad good guys) and convincing décor.

Man… I haven't seen the show for about ten years. I'm so jealous that there's a brand new British DVD-Set. Hopes are high that there will be a German release too.

I'm not sure if I'm able to wait even longer. Maybe I by the UK-box 'cause there is still no word about a release here. :confused:

Favorite character: former majestic 12 agent Jim Stelle. Tim did a great job. It was the Alex Krycek-charakter in that show and I loved it. The episode were he got into the majestic-headquater and got woundet was especially great.

Never saw it, is it any good?

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest WaveCrest

Well, I said a lot about the show in the other topic. And it's all true. :biggrin: But let me quote myself:

Yes, but the separate thread for Dark Skies (which there wasn't one for previously, apart from one thread which wasn't quite all about Dark Skies) was started before you made your reply in the other thread. :oneeyedwinK

Never saw it, is it any good?

I only saw part of the feature length pilot when it was screened on Channel 4. It didn't grab me as much as The X Files, but it had an interesting plot.

It didn't grab me either but that's not to say it wasn't a good show. I can only liken it to supporting a football team. If you are rooting for one you tend not to root for a rival and I think that's how I considered "Dark Skies" at the time. I did a little reading about this and I'm certainly intrigued so for the cost of a box-set I will make my purchase when it's released. I think there is enough distance between myself and The X-Files these days to be objective. I remember Eric Close from "Taken" which I rather enjoyed and he's a decent actor so I have my fingers crossed for this.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest WaveCrest

This was at the time that Eric Close was starring in shows which either lasted just one season or didn't last long (including The Magnificent Seven and the underrated Now and Again (DVD release!!).

A Region 1 DVD set from Shout! Factory is in the works. There was a release date on Amazon.com, but it has since been removed.

Guest WaveCrest

Quoting Sidewinder's post from the Most Mysterious TV Shows thread:

Yes, it was the show with "Seven of Sex" Jeri Ryan as Russian spy in about four to six episodes close to the end of the show. And yes, JFK got shot at the end of the pilot right after he got informed that the aliens were on earth for a long time.

Back then the show must have looked like a clone. It was a show about a silent alien-invasion, a conspiracy among the "powers that be" and a couple in the centre of an upcoming war for the future of mankind.

But; they had a different approach to it. They started where the x-files ended. Fox and Dana hunted the truth all these years and John and Kim found the truth by the middle of the pilot episode. They fought the invasion, they fought the conspiracy- and then got a part of it.

I found the idea very appealing that they combined historical incidents with the alien invasion in a way that let you think "Pah, its fiction- isn't it?". And it was a bit of the Babylon 5-factor: a show rolled out for a five year-plot which will guide you through four decades to today.

Plus: they had a fabulous cast (supporting actors like J.T. Walsh in one of his last roles and Connor O'Farrell and Tim Kelleher as cool good bad guys or bad good guys) and convincing décor.

Man… I haven't seen the show for about ten years. I'm so jealous that there's a brand new British DVD-Set. Hopes are high that there will be a German release too.

Guest Sidewinder

If you are rooting for one you tend not to root for a rival and I think that's how I considered "Dark Skies" at the time. I did a little reading about this and I'm certainly intrigued so for the cost of a box-set I will make my purchase when it's released. I think there is enough distance between myself and The X-Files these days to be objective.

Good point there. I think the lack of success was basically because the audience couldn't love a second show about conspiracy and aliens back then. Maybe the show has more impact today than ever before because it's a period piece and didn't ages like contemporary material from the midd-90's.

Here's another find from Bryce Zabels official website about the DVD-sets:

Bryce is also consulting with the DVD company Shout Factory over the 2011 release of his science-fiction series, NBC's Dark Skies. The 20 hours of the series will be released in the United States on January 18, 2011, marking the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy's inauguration. Set in the 1960s, this cult-hit tells the story of that turbulent decade against the backdrop of UFO secrecy, invoking such key events as the Kennedy assassination, the arrival of the Beatles, Vietnam and the Civil Rights movement. The DVD release includes multiple "extras," including audio commentaries, interviews, a behind-the-scenes documentary, network promos, and studio sizzle reels. An "episodes-only" version will be released in the United Kingdom by Medium Rare Entertainment on October 18, 2010.

I'd prefer the US-set. Still hoping that there will be another one here.

Guest WaveCrest

This news article was posted on TVShowsOnDVD in the week about the Region 1 set, which did have a release date of Tuesday 18th January, 2011:

Dark Skies - The Declassified Complete Series (Region 1 DVD) - TVShowsOnDVD.com news article

Well if DVD extras for the Shout! Factory set have been made available they haven't been posted on TVShowsOnDVD yet, and they're probably the best Region 1 TV shows on DVD news website out there.

• 3 weeks later...

This news article was posted on TVShowsOnDVD in the week about the Region 1 set, which did have a release date of Tuesday 18th January, 2011:

FINALLY! :praying:

Dark Skies is a very distant and faint memory from the 1990s. I do remember following it to the very best I could (without DVDs and VOD and illegal downloads and not even a VCR for me at the time it was very easy to miss a show on TV). And I remember being somewhat drawn in from the subject matter and from the enjoyable 60s atmosphere but not overly so -- then I remember quality picking up dramatically in the last third of the series! So I really want to check it out again and see it with fresh eyes.

I remember reading that the reason it took so long to release it on VHS or DVD, apart from the fact that it was not a huge success, was because of copyright issues. The show used extensively that wornderful music of the 1960s to dress up its episodes, and apparently the fees one has to pay for including that in a show that airs on TV and a show that is released on DVD are massively different.