50 Original Casting Choices

Rate this topic

ethsnafu

Hi folks,

We were only talking about the subject of alternative casting the other day and lo and behold a list of 50 alternative casting choices dropped into my inbox. How's that for synchronicity. It's hard to imagine anyone playing the roles on this list as well as the people who did play them but their were others in mind originally and it makes for a fascinating read. How about Christopher Walken as Han Solo or Sylvester Stallone as Axel Folley? Got you interested? Go and check it out.

Eth

https://www.moviehole.net/201032697-50-original-casting-choices

No way, Christopher Walken has Han, give us a break.

After going down the list, I too believe they cast the perfect person for the parts. Lance has the voice and face for a terminator, but not the physique. I just can't picture some of the others, and if they had been cast, I don't believe the film would have been as good, with two exceptions. I can see John Travolta playing "Julian Kay" in "American Gigolo." Oh yeah, he would have done a great job in that part. Of course, he does a great job in every part he plays. The other is Johnny Depp as "Marty McFly" in "Back To The Future." He's another one of those actors that can play any part and sell it.

Eddie Murphy as "Candyman?" You gotta be kidding me. :rofl:

You took the words right off my keyboard Darlene.

The thing with Walken is that he is not your traditional leading man. He is well suited to villains or eccentric or quirky portrayals but there's no way you could cast him as a dashing ladies man without having the audience struggle to buy it. As for the Terminator, I think Lance is too expressive an actor for that role. It's one of his great strengths that he can convey so much mood and emotion without any dialogue at all and the fact that Arnie is such a limited actor is actually a great strength when playing an automaton. Another bizarre 'first choice' is Michael J.Fox as Batman. The man's five foot four inches tall. Batman? Really?

Eth

I figured I'd leave Michael J. Fox as Batman for someone else to mention. Makes you wonder what the casting directors and their staff were thinking at the time.

Walken is definitely a good choice to play a bad guy. He has the look.

You're right, Lance doesn't have to say a word, just change his facial expression and poof, you know what he's thinking and feeling. This was especially seen in the MLM Halloween episode "The Curse of Frank Black." He said very little all through the episode, and yet in every scene you knew every thought, and every feeling he was experiencing.

Lance, you're the greatest. :notworthy:

Well...the original idea of The Terminator was a sleek design, something that would blend in...not unlike Robert Patrick in T2...when you think of it. But when you think about it, it wouldn't have been the same without Arnie.

Well...the original idea of The Terminator was a sleek design, something that would blend in...not unlike Robert Patrick in T2...when you think of it. But when you think about it, it wouldn't have been the same without Arnie.

I totally agree, Arnie was perfect for the part and the movie could have flopped without someone like him in the part. Robert Patrick was absolutely fantastic in T2, and I honestly can't think of anyone else that could have looked so believable as these two men.

Oh, there was this funny thing Lance said at the Texas Frightmare Weekend Q&A session he did.

He said if he had been the Terminator, he probably would have been inactive for the most of the movie, recharging in the corner.

LOL I like it. I read an interesting quote once from James Cameron that praised Arnie's performance and he noted that as he has a peculiar way annunciating his words it added to the effect they way looking far. The wanted The Terminator unit to appear misplaced, as though their attempts at disguising themselves as humans fell short of the mark. He commented that even the voice sounded as though they hadn't quite gotten that right.

Eth

Oh, there was this funny thing Lance said at the Texas Frightmare Weekend Q&A session he did.

He said if he had been the Terminator, he probably would have been inactive for the most of the movie, recharging in the corner.

:signlol::clapping:

Guest WaveCrest

Even though I don't think it would have worked, it would have been interesting to see Sir Christopher Lee play Dr. Sam Loomis in John Carpenter's Halloween (1978).

I'm glad Tom Selleck did go on to play Magnum, even though seeing him play Indiana Jones would have been interesting. Although there was one episode in the final season of Magnum, p.i. which was Indiana Jones-like.