20 Scariest Horror Movies Of All Time

ethsnafu

Hi folks,

Now lists regarding this subject appear almost weekly but now is a better time than any to share them. This comes courtesy of the folks at Entertainment Weekly so go check out the list and see how these rank against your own choices.

Eth

https://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20310838_20303609,00.html

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

I agree with them for them, most of them i would have picked too and with a few more thrown in. :) I never really saw Jaws as scary though. lol :pumpkin4: Thanks for sharing Mark. :)

Laura :)

I'm very disappointed that "The Haunting" didn't make the list. Oh well. Same with the movie, "The Keep."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EIpE_JP_oQ&feature=related

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

It's the stock set of movies that appear on all lists of this kind Darlene. I think those that write them confuse the idea of a good horror film (which all of them are) with a scary horror film (which some of them are not). I watched The Descent and it scared the living daylights of me. In some parts I was literally jumping. It's head and shoulders above "Rosemary's Baby" in terms of being scary.

At least The Exorcist was on there.

Eth

josew.gif

What do you mean by "stock set?"

I have not seen The Descent, and may not after reading your post. Wow, was it that scary? Won't see it alone, that's for sure. :woot:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

The Keep...ugh...I saw it when I visited a friend of mine in the States in 2008. We sat through this borefest (good thing we had some beer to ease the pain ;) and it was some bootleg copy or something. There were some interesting concepts and ideas in there, but it was too slow, too long and too boring...maybe the only good thing about it was Tangerine Dream...Michael Mann has come a long way. But he did Thief before and that was a great film with great music...

I'm not depressed, just quiet.

Jósef's Visual Musings:

http://cheersfromiceland.blogspot.com/

The Keep suffers because it's script is not fully developed IMHO. As you said Josef, there is a great idea in their somewhere but it struggles to get out. I thought Gabriel Byrne gave a great performance in the film and the usually wonderful Ian McKellen was very poor but all in all it isn't as bad as some people would make it out to be. At least not in my opinion.

Now how about checking out the next link folks. Rather than the most scary films we are looking at the least scary horror films. I know I have seen a fair few that struggle to even be considered horror. Have a look and see what you think.

Eth

https://movies.yahoo.com/photos/movie-stills/gallery/1200/

josew.gif

Well...why wasn't Leprechaun on that list, but Troll 2 made the list? I would be pretty freaked if "trolls" would want to turn me into a plant and eat me...now, defeating a leprechaun should be easy, give him the freaking gold!

I haven't seen either of these films but was watching an amusing video review of Leprechaun.

I'm not depressed, just quiet.

Jósef's Visual Musings:

http://cheersfromiceland.blogspot.com/

The intriguing difference between Leprechaun and Troll 2 is that Leprechaun was made with its tongue firmly in its cheek whereas Troll 2 seems to be something that was made as a serious attempt at providing a scare. The documentary about the film, Best Worts Movie, certainly indicates that the writer and director still believe they made a decent film which is not deserving of the criticisms it gets.

'So Bad It's Good' films are one thing but horror that is just bad and cannot be redeemed even by the 'camp factor' is another.

I watched 2001 Maniacs when it was released to DVD and couldn't find a single redeeming thing about it. Lord knows how it got a sequel as I couldn't even finish the first film and believe me I have tried a number of times. Just horrible.

Eth

josew.gif

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

and oh hey guys btw, my son and his girlfriend went to see Paranormal Activity 2 and don't waste your money, my son said it was hilariously bad, lol worse than the first one if that is possible, i was hoping for more as all the commercials for it looked promosing but he said everyone in the theater was laughing and a few people walked out. lol There was a flying baby in it appratently and everything was seen through security cameras this time and the first half of the movie was just getting the stroy set up. lol not very scary at all. but you be the judge...... im not seeing it till the dvd comes out. lol

laura :) :pumpkin4: