The Top Ten X-Files Episodes

Rate this topic

Hi folks,

I am sure your list of top ten x-files episodes fluctuates as much as mine does but someone here scribbled a list of their own that I thought you might like to see and compare your own choices with. All the episodes the individual has selected are fine episodes but I can't quite fathom why number five is n the list and some other stunning episodes are not but I guess that's why it is his list and not mine right? :oneeyedwinK

Have a look folks and see what you think.

Eth

https://cicero390.blogspot.com/2010/10/top-10-x-files-episodes.html

I personally wouldn't know where to begin, there are so many, and remembering which one is which, oh my. I certainly appreciated reading someone else's list. Helps to job the memory. I look forward to seeing some of the groups favorites.

There is one episode that always sticks out in my memory, and that's the one where Mulder and Scully move into a neighborhood as husband and wife to investigate some mysterious deaths. The inter-action with them pretending to be married is so entertaining.

The only other one I can think of is when Mulder said, "Did you really think you could call up the Devil and ask him to behave?" Even the devil can quote scripture to meet his needs." I absolutely love that quote and we even discussed the episode one time in a Skype chat.

I'd have to be reminded of the rest off hand. :confused:

Guest WaveCrest

There is one episode that always sticks out in my memory, and that's the one where Mulder and Scully move into a neighborhood as husband and wife to investigate some mysterious deaths. The inter-action with them pretending to be married is so entertaining.

That would be "Arcadia" Darlene, from the show's first season in California/Los Angeles (season six).

I thought the inclusion of the three-parter which branched the sixth and seventh seasons was an interesting choice, as over the years it seems to have got a mixed reaction from X Files fans. I quite liked it. "Biogenesis" and "Amor Fati" were strong, with the middle part "The Sixth Extinction: Part 1" being a bit weaker. I thought there were some really good mytharc episodes after this three-parter.

I'll have a think about my Top 10 favourite X Files episodes. Will be like Millennium, very difficult to compile a Top 10 favourite episodes list!

Guest Sidewinder

To select my own top ten x-files is a tough job. I'll have to think about it (and check an episode-list as I haven't seen the show in a while).

But something that sticks out in my memory is the two-parter "Tunguska/Terma". Loved the Krycek/Mulder-chemistry.

Regarding the "Anasazi"-three-parter: at this time of the show I totally agree with the writer of the list. It was groundbreaking back than (especially the opening "Anasazi"). I still consider this one of the better episodes.

Its great reading your episode choices folks. I hope you will keep these coming ladies and gents.

I have to agree with you that it's a nightmare trying to select ten episodes from a show that had so many great ones. I would certainly have selected some of the episodes you folk have selected, "Aracadia" in particular is one I revisit fairly regularly for the reasons that Darlene notes.

Another I return to every now and again is "Milagro" and it's unusual for me to favour a Spotnitz episode as I find his writing to be a little flat at times. I think the performances, rather than the story, make this a fond favourite of mine and John Hawkes is superb as the decidedly quirky Phillip Padgett.

Other episodes I find myself dipping into on an infrequent basis are "Never Again", "Home", "4D", "Duane Barry/Ascension", "Two Fathers/One Son", "One Breath", "Musings Of A Cigarette Smoking Man"....actually this list could be fairly endless. It's a testament to the show that it produced so many worthy episodes that it's incredibly hard to contemplate picking just ten from what is on offer.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

Other episodes I find myself dipping into on an infrequent basis are "Never Again", "Home", "4D", "Duane Barry/Ascension", "Two Fathers/One Son", "One Breath", "Musings Of A Cigarette Smoking Man"....actually this list could be fairly endless. It's a testament to the show that it produced so many worthy episodes that it's incredibly hard to contemplate picking just ten from what is on offer.

Eth

Some good choices. "Darkness Falls" from season one scared the sh** out of me when I saw it the first time. I was almost 14 years old, home alone, it was a dark night and... I dont know why but this episode got under my skin.

"Darkness Falls" is a great episode. Very creepy. I also found "Fearful Symmetry" to be a really chilling episode as well. It's one of the few alien abduction related stories out there that demonstrates a real creativity with the subject.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

In no particular order, the ten X Files episodes which are my favourites (this is really difficult, because as soon as I think of almost ten episodes I think of a lot more which I also really liked):

Conduit

The Jersey Devil

Little Green Men

"3"

Paper Clip

Herrenvolk

Post Modern Promethus

Drive

X-COPS

Release.

It's nice to see X-Cops make your list Richard. That episode doesn't get nearly as much recognition as it should. It's worth watching purely to see how effective Gillian is a comedic performer as the last time I watched it I was literally rewinding portions of it just to watch her delivery again. She is superb. Now I recently rewatched "The Amazing Maleeni" as I had memories of really enjoying that episode but I wasn't wowed on the rewatch. Memory is a fickle thing.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

You are right, Mark. Maybe that's the reason why I'm a little afraid to see "Bad Blood" again. I had so much fun when I watched that episode the first time and I'm not sure if that will happen again.

Mulder: Have you noticed that his shoes are untied?

Scully: What's you point?

Mulder: That means something.