Lance Henriksen To Voice Tron Uprising Cartoon

Rate this topic

ethsnafu

Disney is spinning its upcoming "Tron: Legacy" feature into an animated TV series.

Boy-centric cabler Disney XD has given a series order to "Tron: Uprising," which is set for a summer 2012 bow.

Charlie Bean ("Samurai Jack") will exec produce and direct, while "Tron: Legacy" writers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz will serve as consulting producers. "Tron: Legacy" co-producer Justin Springer is also on board.

"Tron: Uprising's" voice cast includes Elijah Wood, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Mandy Moore, Paul Reubens, Nate Corddry and Lance Henriksen. Bruce Boxleitner will reprise his role as Tron.

Disney XD had already picked up a 10-part "Tron" microseries, which airs next fall.

Disney TV Animation is behind the show. Disney Channels Worldwide entertainment prexy Gary Marsh called the new show "a culmination of an extraordinary collaboration between Disney Television Animation and our feature film studio."

"Tron: Uprising" will focus on Beck (voiced by Wood), who leads a revolution inside the Grid's computer world.

"When kids dream, particularly boys, this is what they dream about," said Marsh, showing a "Tron: Uprising" clip to reporters on Thursday. "There's a quality we brought to bear on this."

Marsh also announced that the Disney Channel had picked up the live-action comedy series "A.N.T. Farm," about a 12-year-old musical prodigy (played by China McClain) and a series of interstitials starring animated characters "Phineas and Ferb" as talkshow hosts. "Take Two With Phineas and Ferb" bows Dec. 3 and will feature guests such as Seth Rogen, Andy Samberg, Tony Hawk and Randy Jackson.

Also, Disney XD ordered the live-action comedy "Wasabi Warriors," about a ragtag group of kids at the worst martial arts studio in the country. Starring Jason Earles ("Hannah Montana") and Leo Howard, show comes from exec producers Jim O'Doherty ("Grounded for Life") and Marc Warren.

Among other series in the works for Disney XD is the stylish, futuristic toon "Motorcity." And Marsh touted Disney XD as one of the biggest beneficiaries of Disney's Marvel acquisition. "Ultimate Spider-Man" joins the tween boy cabler in spring 2012, when the channel will also launch a Marvel-branded programming block.

Disney Channels Worldwide prexy Carolina Lightcap mapped out the rollout of young kids brand Disney Junior, which replaces the "Playhouse Disney" block on Disney Channel in early 2011, and takes over SoapNet's channel in 2012.

In the hopes of broadening the channel's aud slightly, Lightcap said Disney Junior would target kids 2-7, as opposed to 2-5. Lightcap said playing down the preschool age range makes it easier for 6- and 7-year-olds, many of whom still aren't ready for older fare, to tune in.

Among programs to join Disney Junior: "Jake and the Neverland Pirates," which uses Captain Hook in 2011; and then "Doc McStuffins" and "Little Princess" in 2012. Disney Junior will give "Minnie Mouse" her own show, in which she runs a hotel with Daisy Duck.

"It's 'Laverne and Shirley' meets 'Fawlty Towers,'" Marsh quipped.

Source: https://www.variety.com/article/VR1118026910

Guest Sidewinder

I have to admit that I never saw the original Tron. But; I'm a little bit infected by the Tron-virus since I saw the Tron Legacy-Trailer in the theatre. It's probably time to take a look at the original movie and to check out the delayed sequel.

The first film is incredible. I don't recall that I appreciated it much when I was child as I found it turgid and unexciting compared to other scifi blockbusters out at the time but as an adult I can really appreciate how great the film is. Lord knows when Lance is getting to fit this in to his schedule though, he barely pauses for thought these days.

Eth

I loved the original Tron. But then I was in my teens at the time and heavy into playing video games at the arcade. And yes, I played Tron. :oneeyedwinK

Ugh. The Tron game. Don't game me started. Now I am absolutely atrocious at video games (<- how old am I) and that 'spinning wheel thing' on the Tron game was beyond me. I don't think my ten pence every bought me more than a few seconds on that game. Boy was I rubbish.

I don't know if you guys know this but you can play Space Paranoids online at the moment. For those not in the know, this was the game that one of the movie's characters was so adept at. The game, which is a promotion for the upcoming Tron movie sequel Tron Legacy, is quite fun as you pilot the tank in first person mode through a series of maze levels. Your tank has only a limited amount of shots before it has to recharge at several stations in the maze. Of course all the high scores of the game are for Flynn, the Jeff Bridges character in both movies.

You can check it out at the link below.

Eth

https://www.spaceparanoidsonline.com/

Guest Sidewinder

I put an announcement about that animated series on my website and prior did some research. You know what; Lance will be the bad guy in that show (General Tesler). What else? :oneeyedwinK

I'm delighted that he is doing more of these types of roles and more cameo appearances. I don't want to don my white coat as I know it bores people but I hope he takes it a little easier as he isn't half working hard at the moment and as young as we may feel our physiology knows otherwise. I hope he takes plenty of time to rest and relax and doesn't overdo things.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

Me too. But you should have seen his look when I indicated maybe taking it a little slower. It was like "Man, what is he talking about? Why should I?" What he said was simply. "No." and then he pointed out that "you have to act to call yourself an actor." :biggrin:

I am sure he appreciated your sentiment though. I've seen fathers of other celebrities talking about them as though there objects. I've seen fans ranting and raving that their man hasn't done enough films this year or hasn't done any conventions and so on as though the individual in question were simply a puppet put here for their entertainment. Mind boggling.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

I am sure he appreciated your sentiment though.

Yes, he surely did. It was winking. And I thought it wasn't a absurd question. As a fan I'm happy about the amount of work he does. But nevertheless I also know that it's hard, stressful work and even much younger people with "boring bureaucratic" jobs can get a burn out syndrom. You know what I mean?