XF3 Is Being Written

Rate this topic

Hi folks. News comes in that X-Files 3 IS being written as we speak. David Duchovny has confirmed that Chris Carter is writing the script although Fox have yet to give it the go ahead. This is superb news folks and surely indicates that XF3 is closer that any of us dared to dream.

Having said that......I do have to add a little caveat that Duchovny confirmed the second film as 'imminent' many times in the period between the two movies so his word isn't exactly *ahem* reliable but I hope in this instance there is a grain of truth to the news. Ten Thirteen deserve one final outing for the X-Files so lets keep out fingers crossed it comes to be.

Eth

https://www.moviehole.net/201033178-x-files-3-being-written-says-duchovny

As you would imagine folks, word of this is beginning to spread and you can expect it continue to do so throughout the weekend. I'll try and keep this thread updated with as many links as possible. I am really, genuinely excited by this.

Eth

https://kezgeek.blogspot.com/2010/11/x-files-3dont-give-up.html

https://entertainment.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978669583

https://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-news/the-truth-is-still-out-there-x-files-3-on-the-way.php

Guest Sidewinder

Ugh! Another pot-shot at the second movie in the review. Call me rebellious, but I would choose X-Files 2 over Avatar any day!

I agree. But the movie was less good as expected. And I hadn't very high expectations. It wasn't that exciting after all. Some atmosphere, some nice guest stars (Callum Keith Rennie is always great) but it needed more.... thrill.

• Elders (Moderators)

The news seems to be spreading like wildfire - which at the very least is an indication that XF is still newsworthy. A Havenite who has also posted on XFNews says that the magazine this originated in does not have a particularly good reputation for factuality, and whatever DD said might have been badly translated. So, caution is recommended, but then that's what was recommended in the run-up to the announcement of XF2.

I'm going to await further news whilst keeping my fingers crossed - but in the meantime I'm being amused by clyons/pisher over on the imdb XF2 board who's been blethering for ages that the only hope for XF is a reboot because Duchovny and Anderson are too old and anyway were never any good, and CC and FS have been crap writers since the day they were born (and possibly even before that). He's having to backtrack a bit, just in case 20th Fox financially supports the Fab Four again.

I regarded XF2 as a good movie - thoughtful and dark, but didn't have the big explosions and action-packed sequences and loads of CGI that seem required these days. If XF3 is going to be about an alien invasion then it's going to need a bigger budget than XF2. Let's try sending subliminal thoughts in the direction of the money men at 20th.

I felt I should point out, from my understanding, that the origin of the source, the interview with David Duchcovny, is from a French magazine that, I heard, has a suspect history of misquotes or fabrications, and so I'd strongly advise to take a grain of salt about this story, a fan I know from France warned me about this.

This might be good news, or it might be nothing. If the source was taken from an industry trade like Variety, then I'd take it more seriously. But please folks, don't jump the gun on this, let's just wait and see.

Hi folks,

What a very interesting state of affairs. I had no idea that the source was not quite so trustworthy but I do know that an interview with Gillian Anderson was given a new context by a French website in the past leading to a flurry of similar speculation. It wouldn't happen to be the same magazine would it?

Now when this story broke I received an email stating much of what has be written here with regards to biding our time a little and it was stated that a response from Frank Spontnitz would be most welcome. Well a response has happened at BigLight as I am sure many of you have seen.

I’m afraid I can neither confirm nor deny. I wish I could say more, but all I can say is what I’ve said all along: Don’t give up!

Hmmmm. Not much to go on there. Now this reminds me of the run-up to XF2 when cast members were issued with an embargo with regards to confirming or denying their involvement in the film. If you recall, it was this embargo that lead to speculation that Lance would make an appearance when he used the opportunity to employ a little creative ambiguity with his 'no comment'. I hope something is in the works and I hope so because I do feel it is misguided to give the impression, albeit inadvertently, that something may be happening by the very nature of these ambiguous statements. It is right that if nothing is doing then the fans are put of their misery so to speak.

That said, I did promise to update this thread with links but I can't. There are far too many of them and that, my friends, shows Brand X-Files very much alive and very, very well.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

It's encouraging news, but I'm going to take this with a grain of salt. I don't want to get overjoyed at the real chance of an XF3 movie, and then have my hopes dashed.