FedCon 2011

Rate this topic

Guest teedub

Guest Herr Doktor Schlossburg

Yaaay, lucky me!!!

I'll attend, even though I'm somewhat dismayed that they don't allow you to film anything (most likely because they want to peddle their official DVDs).

I've never been to a convention before, is that the standard precedure? There IS quite a lot of footage of Lance at various conventions on youtube...

Guest WaveCrest

Some convention/signing event organisers don't allow you to take pictures and videos of guests signing (yet you still see cheeky people taking photos without their permission when the guests are signing at their table. Organisers may have their own photographers taking photos, but there are people walking round by guests' tables who take photos and videos without permission from the guests. Some guests are fine with it, but others are not.

I think they can be strict at Q & A sessions with videos being taken by members of the public. I don't think they're as strict with photographs being taken at Q & A sessions.

I don't know if it has to be a fuss even though it may say on their website.

I was at HorrorHound Weekend in Cincinnati, Ohio and I remember seeing something similar on their site. There it said photos of celebs are acceptable but treat them with respect. But it said no video-recording at the convention (unless you had written permission by the promoters and the talents' consent) yet I'm sure people were taping the Q&As and maybe even the dealer rooms as well, where the celebs are too. So, it just depends on the staff or how serious they take things...

Guest Sidewinder

It's indeed very different. At Weekend of Horrors (May 2009) it wasn't allowed to take a picture with the stars besides the official shootings. Well, I went to all of the shootings (Freak, I know), made three official pics with Lance- and two after talking with him for a while at the last day.

But they had no problems with filming and taking pictures during the Q&A.

My last FedCon was a few years ago but I remember them being very strict. No flashlights and no video during the Q&A or at the autograph table. I made one pic and was asked to put the camera away immediately.

I'm not sure how they handle these things today. But I hope to get an answer to that question soon as I'm in contact with someone from the FedCon-management. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Myself, I'm not bothered with taking pictures of celebs at their table...I much rather get an autograph and hopefully a photo is included in that deal...

But that does sound strict, I wonder if they would have problem with recording audio at Q&A, my camera has that option :D And who would bring a flashlight to a Q&A...or do you mean the flash when a picture is taken? :/

I was reading on a Blog recently that Lance has put his prices up a little. I believe it's $40 for a signature and $40 for a photograph and that th line to his table suffered a little as a result. I guess it's the economy going the way it has. When I say his a few years ago it $20 for each which seems to be a standard figure for most guests.

Actually that might be a interesting topic. Who has the charged you the most at convention for a signature or a photograph. I heard Malcolm McDowell has a bit of a reputation for charging $30 for a signature. Doesn't seem that much to me but I guess if you are wanting to get a number of signatures that day it might make you think twice.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

But that does sound strict, I wonder if they would have problem with recording audio at Q&A, my camera has that option :D And who would bring a flashlight to a Q&A...or do you mean the flash when a picture is taken? :/

Yes, I ment it that way. Flash when taking a picture. Language can be a funny thing. :oneeyedwinK

I was reading on a Blog recently that Lance has put his prices up a little. I believe it's $40 for a signature and $40 for a photograph and that th line to his table suffered a little as a result. I guess it's the economy going the way it has. When I say his a few years ago it $20 for each which seems to be a standard figure for most guests.

Actually that might be a interesting topic. Who has the charged you the most at convention for a signature or a photograph. I heard Malcolm McDowell has a bit of a reputation for charging $30 for a signature. Doesn't seem that much to me but I guess if you are wanting to get a number of signatures that day it might make you think twice.

Let me think about it. Ahm, Lance was 15 € (thats almost 20 $) for a signature or a photo last year, if I remember correct. That's standart here today. I mean I payed 20 € (=26 $) for Tony Todd three years before. The most expensive celeb (I was involved with) was William Shatner. It was 1994...or '93? Anyway; I was at school, hadn't much money and went to that FedCon. Back then every signature was 15 DM (that's about 7,60 € or 9,90 $)- a nice, big picture to sign on included! But not Shatner. He costs 30 or 36 DM (thats 18 € or 23 $)- without the chance to get it personaliced (pre-signed). Today thats cheap. But at the time I couldn't effort it. Sadly.

In May at Texas Frightmare Weekend, it cost me $30 for an autograph which included getting a photograph for him to sign (I brought my own) and getting a picture taken with him if you wanted. In October at the International Horror & SciFi Film Festival it was $20 for all that. I guess you can never be absolutely positive how much it will cost, but looks like the range is anywhere from $20 to $40 USD.

I would imagine it varies from convention from convention a little based on how much of the individuals travel costs and accommodation is covered by the fee. I don't know a great deal about these things but I read the bigger the name, the more likely it is that they we will receive a fee and the less well known stars are expected to make ends meet by selling their autographs alone.

I'm not surprised to hear that Shatner charges at the top end of the scale. He has, after all, played one of the most iconic roles in genre and it wouldn't bother me paying those prices. I heard James Marsters sometimes charges $60 for a picture, Nimoy and Stewart charge around the $50 mark as well. When I got Lance's signature at Collectormania I think I paid £20 which is around $25 and I considered it a bargain. You can't put a price on the man can you? :whistling:

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

You're right, Lance is worth every penny.

Shatner was a mistake. I should have invested the money as I'm frustrated today that I didn't. But the truth is: it was just a pre-signed picture. It was far more funny and interesting and inspiring seeing the man on stage. A lot of the hardcore Trekkies didn't like how he was on stage but I had the time of my life. He has a great sense of humour, very dry, very dark and self ironic. I really like that. His autobiographical books were a lot of fun to read even though he had a co-writer helping him with the first two (out of three to date).