Star Trek Franchise

Guest Sidewinder

Guest Sidewinder

I'm wondering what you think about the new Star Trek by JJ. Abrams? I do admit that I wasn't happy about the news when they first talked about bringing back young Kirk and a young Enterprise-crew. And when I came out of the theatre… well let's say it this way: I was surprised and I still have ambivalent feelings about it. But… No, you first, I don't want to influence other opinions. :oneeyedwinK

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went expect to be disapointed....I was in high school for the original and enjoyed it on so many levels including its social comments about the 60's....but I liked how the new movie explained the changes with the time line disruption and thought the actors pick were all good choices. I look forward to the next movie. :pumpkin4:

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

I thought it was a preposterous idea when I first heard about it but I'm not generally a fan of remakes at all but recasting and remaking such an iconic piece of entertainment always seemed like a bit of a gamble. That said, I didn't loathe it like I thought I would. I don't think all the casting choices were great (Uhura and Scotty left me cold) and it completely fails to convince anyone that this is occurring at some point prior to the original series taking place thanks to the most modern looking bridge set to date but it isn't all that bad.

I wasn't elated like some were but I wasn't calling for the head of JJ either.

I guess that's a good thing.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest Sidewinder

I thought about it in the same way you two did before I watched it. And there are a lot of things an old-school Trekkie could be angry about. Even on a cinematic and narrative level there are a few things (like the drive-by-genocide at Vulcan, tattooed Romulans, cheating with Transwarp, the clean apple-look of the Enterprise etc.) that bother me.

But to be honest; I had a lot of fun! They showed respect to the original series, there were a lot of need homage, good humour, solid action, great effects, a nice score, well casting on almost every level (jap, I mean Simon Pegg whom I loved in Shaun of the Dead)… Yes, a lot of exposition but it wasn't a big problem. And the way they established their alternate reality was a smooth way to get away with whatever they up to change in future movies.

Besides; Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban is a dream. I never thought they could play out that well. Especially Pine made a bad impression on me when I had nothing to judge than the trailer.

So… It wasn't *my* Star Trek and it wasn't Gene Roddenberrys. But Star Trek always was a mirror to the time period it was made in. That in mind JJ. Abrams did a great job and delivered a very enjoyable movie. I'm happily looking forward to part two.

The bridge set was the biggest 'dropped ball' in the film to be honest. I wish they'd have had the guts to have had a completely retro design that could have believably looked like an earlier version of the Enterprise bridge. What we got was the most stylised and modern looking set we have seen yet. They made the same mistake in Enterprise in that the ship itself looks light-years ahead in terms of complexity to what came after it.

I have to give another nod to Voyager whilst I'm here as well as they had an episode I believe was called 'Message In A Bottle' or maybe 'Hope and Fear' - I'm not to sure on the facts at the moment. They introduced a federation vessel (it turned out not to be of course) called The Prometheus that featured in one single story and not only is it one of the coolest looking ships I have seen in the entire franchise it had a great bridge design and was made on a pittance as it was a single story set. Much nicer that the iEnterprise. :oneeyedwinK

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines