JACK, Frank and Catherine's Neighbor...

Rate this topic

Guest notbadforahuman

Richard that's an absolutely amazing idea for an episode. I think it would have been incredibly to have had something of that format written by the legendary Darin Morgan. Seeing Frank's world through Jack's eyes would have been hilarious. You could have had him imagining all sorts of insane stuff about who Frank was and what he really did.

Now why didn't they think of that? It's genius!

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Richard that's an absolutely amazing idea for an episode. I think it would have been incredibly to have had something of that format written by the legendary Darin Morgan. Seeing Frank's world through Jack's eyes would have been hilarious. You could have had him imagining all sorts of insane stuff about who Frank was and what he really did.

Now why didn't they think of that? It's genius!

Eth

A comical episode showing Frank's daily routines with a bit of his work thrown in.

• 3 weeks later...

In the commentary for the Pilot, Chris Carter talks about how Jack was only supposed to be the friendly next-door-neighbor-type, and that he was always amused that people didn't see him that way. I, however, was also wondering when I first watched the show. He was so nosy, and with the polaroids, it made me suspicious.

• Elders (Moderators)

It is interesting to see that however CC envisioned the character, it didn't translate as he intended. That may be because of the way the character was portrayed (either the acting or the directing). Or that most people didn't pick up the "nosy neighbour" aspect as much as CC expected. CC's home when growing up was in a small cul-de-sac of a dozen or so houses built quite close together, so a newcomer into that kind of neighbourhood would perhaps be under closer scrutiny than usual. I also didn't get the vibe that Jack was a straightforward nice/nosy neighbour but maybe that's because I grew up on a through-road of about a couple of hundred houses where we barely knew the people living on the other side of the road.

Jack always reminded me of the folk from the X-Files episode 'Arcardia'. He's neighbourly to the point of prying. I think Libby makes an astute point about the delivery. Whatever is in the script it will be given a veneer by how it's performed and I certainly got the impression that Lance responds to Don as though he is an intrusion rather than welcome attention. That said they were comfortable enough to leave Jordan with the Merediths when all is said and done.

It's worth noting that the most overt 'warning bell' comes in 'Weeds' which Frank Spotnitz wrote. He ramps the suspicion up considerably IMHO. Whatever the intention it does seem that the character had grown bigger than that especially when used by other writers.

Eth

I know a character writes itself after awhile, and I think that may have happened in a major way had Jack been a mainstay of the show. I wonder if they got rid of him because of the way fans were reacting, like they did with Roedecker. Either way, the idea of a friendly neighbor could have led to some interesting side-stories.

Didn't Roedecker's character leave the show for personal reasons on his part and not anything to do with the fans? I thought he was liked by the fans; I know I enjoyed him.' :smokin:

The neighbor was somewhat of a mystery at first, and I for one was expecting more, like he was a plant to keep an eye on Frank, or something, and then poof, he was gone. Hope someone else can shed more light. :whistling:

I'm pretty sure he was killed off because the fans didn't like him. I seem to remember someone explaining it on a featurette or commentary or something. I with you, though: I enjoyed him. I thought it was amusing to see him interact with Frank. However, I can also see how people didn't like the tone of the show changing.

At the same time, people don't like nosey neighbors, which is what I always thought he was. Then again, there was always that question in the back of my mind. It's entertaining as long as it isn't one of your own neighbors. :whistling: