Ahh, The Bliss

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Well, let me start by saying I am new to this forum and honored to be a participant. Millennium is quite possibly the best series I have ever seen on TV. I have long been awaiting the release of this series on DVD or for one of the cable channels to pick it up, and to my delight, I recently discovered that it (season 1) has been released on DVD, so I wasted no time in picking up the set. Tonight, I was accompanied only by a bottle of very nice wine, and watched the pilot on the first DVD. I was reminded of why I loved this series so much. It is quite probably the best TV entertainment I have ever seen, and right up there in entertainment value with anything I have seen on TV or otherwise. After a long spell where I have been unable to watch this show, I have been reminded tonight just how good, intelligent, well written and well acted this show was. The people who put this show together really created something special, and did an unbelievable job in choosing both the cast and the writers and producing something that is very special, unique, original, intelligent, and magical. I am thankful have something of this quality at my fingertips, and very pleased to be able to view this any time I want without any commercial breaks, and in any order I want. I think, however, that I will watch this in the order that the episodes were originally released. It's amazing to think a group of people could create something that is this good and hits the mark with me to the degree that this show does. It's like this is some kind of a gift from God to it's selected viewing audience. Well, I could go on forever, but I am off to view episode 2 of season one. It's nice to know that I have the whole first season ahead of me, along with (hopefully) the eventual release of all of the episodes from this brilliant series. it just doesn't get any better than this. :jumping:

Guest michjoto

My sentiments exactly. In fact it is eery that my post in the Testimonials section sounds so much like yours. Its nice to know other people are so inclined regarding Millenium. Especially when I'm surrounded by people who think it is weird, twisted, violent and scary. I on the other hand think it presents a microcosm of the the world as it is and of what it could be (the person of Frank Black). It is a work of art. I'm sure you agree.

P.S. I remember how much the character of Kathyrn was vilified during the series run. There were such cries that she "must go". Indeed, there were times I was annoyed with her. But watching the first season DVDs, I am surprisingly impressed with how important she is and how much she contributes. Maybe the first time around it was too much for us as viewers to grasp. :ouro::ouro::ouro:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Yes, I know the feeling. While the Millennium series seemed to be custom made for me and a perfect blend of characters, subject matter, mood, etc., etc., I have rarely run into anyone who shares my love for the show. My step Mom got into the show somewhat, but while she thought it started to get too weird and hard to understand, especially after the first season, I thought it remained a great show throughout the series and never wavered, although there were some episodes I didn't care for as much as others. I agree this show is a work of art, and the violence was just a reflection of the realities of the world and the dark side of human nature. As for Kathryn, I was never that crazy about her, but I never thought she needed to go. Yes, she was annoying at times, but I think that was all part of the writing. I don't think she was ever intended to be all that likable, but was rather intended to be a realistic and flawed character. This show had a lot going for it, but nothing more than the creators ability to perfectly cast its characters, and to skillfully select the perfect actors for the parts that were so brilliantly written. It all starts with my admittedly obvious favorite character, Frank Black. I can't imagine any other actor in this role. The selection of Lance Henrickson (sp?) was as perfect and as natural as this show is to it's fans. It's like it was meant to be. As I said, like a perfect divine gift. It's hard to believe that with all the new shows that have come out, some of them great, that I still long for this show, and that it still stands head and shoulders above the rest... well, at least most of them. Frank Black is probably the most intriguing character I have run across on TV, and the part is perfectly acted by Lance. I can't think of a more perfect creation of a character, and the best thing about it is the amazing subtlety of the acting. Tonight I watched Dead Letters, and I was reminded just how good Lance is, and how much I liked his "less is more" approach to acting. There is not one scene that I can think of that is over or under acted. He always seems to hit it right on the nose. There are so many scenes that rely on such a subtle reaction or facial expression that it is barely even evident, yet at the same time perfect for the character. I can't think of a character I like more, he is so cool, strong, mysterious, masculine, rugged, dark, and has other qualities that I can't even describe. The creators of this show really knew what they were doing when they hired him. Well, I just finished Dead Letters. I remember it as one of my favorites, but forgot the title. Next on the list is The Judge. I figure two episodes a night should just about perfect. :devil01:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Hi Welcome to This Is Who We Are! I couldn't agree with you more. Millennium is bliss and I can't wait to get my hands on Season Two!!!

Hi there. Thank you for the reply. I see that you are member number one. That would be a great honor. I just noticed that section of the posts. I am number 711, and a candidate :tasty: I have fond memories of the "old man", and the episodes he appeared in, especially the one with the dogs, one of my all time favorites.

Guest michjoto

Speaking of the Judge. There is a scene in that episode that crystalizes the core element of the series. When they come to the door at the home of the judge, he looks past everyone, looking for the man who "is smart enough to catch me" and sees the silhouette of Frank standing at the back of the group, backlit by the headlights of the cars. A small smile escapes the judge's face. He realizes who Frank is. That is true throughout the series. The perpetrators always reconize Frank, understanding that he sees things as do they, but not understanding that it is from a different perspectiive. It was a subtle and brillant hint of what we were to get over the 3 seasons.

As far as Kathyrn is concerned, there was an ever growing rumbling from fans that she was a distraction and had to go. I must admit that I felt the same way. Now I believe I was wrong.

God, I love talking to you people.:ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Speaking of the Judge.  There is a scene in that episode that crystalizes the core element of the series.  When they come to the door at the home of the judge, he looks past everyone, looking for the man who "is smart enough to catch me" and sees the silhouette of Frank standing at the back of the group, backlit by the headlights of the cars.  A small smile escapes the judge's face.  He realizes who Frank is.  That is true throughout the series.  The perpetrators always reconize Frank, understanding that he sees things as do they, but not understanding that it is from a different perspectiive.  It was a subtle and brillant hint of what we were to get over the 3 seasons.

As far as Kathyrn is concerned, there was an ever growing rumbling from fans that she was a distraction and had to go.  I must admit that I felt the same way.  Now I believe I was wrong.

God, I love talking to you people.:ouro:  :ouro:  :ouro:  :ouro:

And I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Only here can we discuss this show with people who appreciate it as much as we do. I remembered this episode from years ago, but I had forgotten about the scene you speak of. It's amazing to think that I have not seen many of these episodes for 3, maybe even 4 years. I remember getting laid off from my job back in early 2001, and being able to watch reruns of the show at 1:00 in the morning because I didn't have to get up for work the next day. I'm not sure how long the reruns lasted on that channel (FX), but it wasn't long before the show was canceled on that channel. I was shocked and saddened to hear that it would not be on anymore, and remember thinking that I should have bought a pile of VHS tapes and taped the whole series while it was on. Well, as it turns out, the DVD box sets will probably be even cheaper and more convenient then buying the VHS tapes and copying them all ... and certainly a lot less work. I felt fortunate to get this set on DVD on Ebay and to have it mailed out via priority mail for a total of $35, including the shipping. What a bargain... Well, I see what you are saying about Kathryn. I can see where there would be different views on her presence on the show. Personally, I thought she was an important character from day one, and I agree that she, along with Jordan's character, was an essential part of the show. Sure, they could have focused more on Frank, but I think there was a pretty good blend of characters that they were used appropriately throughout the show. Of course, everyone has their own opinion, and none of them can be deemed right or wrong, only different.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gledster2000

I'm currently near the end of Season 1 (two eps to go!) but something is bothering me. The two parter - Lamentation and Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions seems to imply that there's a force at work, that evil is something that thinks, that is organised. Is that the impression others got? The way that the nearly-bald 'killer' in PPT&D says he killed Bletcher when in Lamentation it was a woman in the Black's house, not this guy at all. I know Bletch saw something before he died, something that looked like the devil - is that a clue? I'm all tied up in knots - can anyone help?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I'm currently near the end of Season 1 (two eps to go!) but something is bothering me. The two parter - Lamentation and Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions seems to imply that there's a force at work, that evil is something that thinks, that is organised. Is that the impression others got? The way that the nearly-bald 'killer' in PPT&D says he killed Bletcher when in Lamentation it was a woman in the Black's house, not this guy at all. I know Bletch saw something before he died, something that looked like the devil - is that a clue? I'm all tied up in knots - can anyone help?

Yes, I agree that this is idea that the show is trying to bring across. It becomes more and more obvious as season one draws to an end, and is clearly evident in the two episodes that you mention. It is even verbally communicated in season two (I think it was), when one of his fellow agents asks if Frank believes in a "greater evil", and he replies "Well, let's just say we're not going to wait around for a happy ending". The "greater evil" theory is also made pretty apparent at the end of Lamentation when the DR. says that "It knows you Frank, run!!", referring to evil. I think the shows view is that Evil is just lurking in the dark, waiting for a willing or vulnerable host to occupy, although it is all a lot more complicated then I could ever try to explain. It seems what Blech saw was the person that the evil had a grip on, and then the face of evil itself, which is why he was frozen with fear and didn't put a bullet in the approaching figure. The "bald" killer you refer to, in my opinion, is also another servant of evil, and I agree, he was obviously not the figure at Frank's house, but was aware of the killing through the collective conscience of evil itself.

• 2 months later...
Guest canadian girl
Hi Welcome to This Is Who We Are! I couldn't agree with you more. Millennium is bliss and I can't wait to get my hands on Season Two!!!

Amen! I can't wait until Tuesday to pick up my Season II. :jumping: