Shattered

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

Airing at the moment on Canadian channel Global and over here on Universal Channel in the UK, Shattered is a cop drama starring Callum Keith Rennie as a detective with multiple personality disorder. I came across this series around late September/early October. I like my detective dramas, and this one has an interesting twist on the format.

It has been premiering on Monday nights in the UK at 10 pm, but from tomorrow night new episodes of Shattered premiere at 11 pm.

There are 13 episodes in the first season (hopefully it will be renewed). Callum Keith Rennie is a producer on this series as well and it's his first TV series in which he's the lead (I thought Due South counted).

The series is shot in Vancouver but the city in which Shattered is set is undisclosed.

A recent episode was directed by Rick Rosenthal of Halloween II (1981) fame.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sidewinder

Recently I saw a few clips and pics from that show and because I really like Callum Keith Rennie a lot I'm in. Sadly it will need some time until it will be on air here. And I'm not sure if the show will return (I read some reports about suboptimal ratings).

Anyway, Rennie deserves his own show. He's good in whatever he ever did (on screen), starting with little roles in XF, Highlander and some others, over Due South (brilliant) and BSG. Not even mentioned his movies. Existence anyone?

Guest WaveCrest

Well Shattered deserves to return for a second season, as it's done enough to stand out from the crowd for me (the presentation, the storytelling device of the lead character's swings from one personality to the other, the chemistry between Callum Keith Rennie and Camille Sullivan, the writing (which has been on the whole very good), the locations and the supporting cast (including Molly Parker).

I thought the chap was simply outstanding in Battlestar Gallactica and I don't know if you guys know this but he was offered the role of Krychek in XF but had to turn down the role due to prior commitments. I have seen Shattered but if his work in it is anything like what I have seen before then maybe it's something I check out.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest Sidewinder

Jap, I read about the Krycek offer some time ago. Well, I love the character (my favourite supporting char) and the way Nick Lea played it. But it's an interesting idea to think of Callum as Krycek. Would have been cool.

Guest WaveCrest

I have seen Shattered but if his work in it is anything like what I have seen before then maybe it's something I check out.

Eth

At times his facial expressions in Shattered remind me of his performance as John Wakefield in Harper's Island, but altogether it's an assured performance.

I need to double-check but I think Shattered is a reunion for Callum Keith Rennie and Molly Parker, who both starred in the film Mysterious River.

I loved him in Harper's Island folks. That was one of the better series' I have seen in years. It kept me and the whole family gripped from start to finish. He was also in Flashforward that I was really beginning to get into when the axe fell.

He is also starring in a new SciFi drama known as 'Alphas' but I haven't been able to discover anything about it. In fact I don't even know if it has been aired yet or not. If anyone does know anything please share. :oneeyedwinK

Eth

josew.gif

Guest Sidewinder

Harpers Island, really? Don't get me wrong, I had fun with that mini-series but it was a collection of clichés and "Wakefield" wasn't any new. In that way it was still entertaining and nobody saw the final turns coming. But it was no original idea in it.

Oh no I completely agree with you but I don't believe it was intended to be anything new. It was a very conscious homage to films like "Ten Little Indians" and it sported its influences quite shamelessly but that's what homages do, they make you have the odd 'ahh' moment as you spot the references and notice the themes. I thought it was just great fun. It was popcorn television that people can get together to watch and there is very little television that achieves any sort of consensus in my family but this was something all the family could enjoy without taxing themselves too much. Some times all you want is a damn good televisual romp and that's what Harper's Island was in my opinion.

And it had Sarah-Jane Redmond in it so it gets additional kudos for that alone. :oneeyedwinK

Eth

josew.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest WaveCrest

Episode 9 "In the Dark" was very good. It had a plot which wouldn't have looked out of place in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. However, what was strange was what was beside the Universal Channel logo in the top left hand corner of the screen, "Series Finale". There are 13 episodes altogether. But to people in Canada who watched Shattered on Global, this is old news to them. Global didn't show three episodes and so the storyline which ran through the series was broken up, making it confusing for viewers.