Saw Human Essence.

Rate this topic

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

OK, I just watched the episode "Human Essence" for the first time in about 6 or 7 years, and my opinion has been revised a little closer to the middle then what i stated in previous opinions, which was that it was a really bad episode. In watching it again, I found that it was a little far fetched, but not nearly as outrageous as I remembered it to be. I guess when you haven't seen something in a long time, sometimes your opinion of it is distorted or exaggerated. I still don't think this was a great episode, and it is one of the few from S3 that I probably won't watch again any time soon, but I think I would now give it about a 2.25 out of 5, instead of the 1 out of 5 I would have given it previously.

• 6 months later...
Guest fledgling666

i just watched it last night after 6 years. it's not bad. i remember reading all this negativity toward it on this board, but watching it, i couldn't see where it was coming from. it was a good episode, not the best, but good.

as far as borrowed time- not sure why everyone hails it, saw it last night too, good, but not THAT good........

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Well, I continue to find it a very powerful, very human episode indeed. I really can't understand why people hate it so much.

Modern

-agreed.......not one of my "gem" episodes, but certainly not as pitiable as it was rated on the Abyss---certainly much better than 13 years and Jose Chung's--...it was an average episode, much like Siren.......some interesting symbolism throughout.

• 1 month later...
Guest Wepwawet
Modern

-agreed.......not one of my "gem" episodes, but certainly not as pitiable as it was rated on the Abyss---certainly much better than 13 years and Jose Chung's--...it was an average episode, much like Siren.......some interesting symbolism throughout.

Not one of my favourites, certainly not memorable to me in any particular way, but I wouldn't say I hated it. I just think it'll probably be a while before I decide to watch it again, for no other reason than there happen to be a lot of much better episodes I'd rather re-run instead. At least I didn't turn it off after 20 minutes like I did with 'In Arcadia...'

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

'In Arcadia Ego' gets much better at the end so I suggest you go back and watch it again. Slow start but great end.

Constructive criticism should never point at the controversial content depicted, because then it's not criticism, it's narrow-mindedness. It clearly was a highlight of Season Three.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest betweenthelines

I didn't really mind this one. Of course I read a lot of harsh comments towards this episode so I guess my expectations were lowered, but I thought 'Human Essence' was okay.

• 1 year later...
Guest Jim McLean

Neeeecromancy.

I was surprised how okay this episode was. I was really prepping for the worst. As for the comments that the physical attributes of the drug were a little far fetched for Millennium, well, technically this is also the X-Files world, so I guess we've had far more incredulous things happen. Furthermore, I think - given this is Millennium - we can see the spiritual element here; that to ride the monster in relation to the demon markings could signify that whatever science bonding there is, that there maybe something more mythical that relates to the mix. After all, while people dispute the idea that science disproves the deity, some would say that science is just a tool of the deity; that the science could be an instrument of something deeper - that is if you take the monster/tattoo/demon-human essense literally.

So I think it all works, though I must admit I don't find Hollis strong enough (if anyone can be) to take priority over Frank for another episode. She's not a bad character, but I don't find my audience sympathy rest closely with her after watching Frank go 2 seasons of hell. Frank is who I tune in for, not Hollis.

But overall, not a bad episode, just not horrendously memorable. A relief, actually. :)