Synchronicity 1013

Rate this topic

Guest Forza

Yesterday, when I was picking up my DVD set of Harsh Realm at BestBuy, I happened to come across a Kolchak double feature for $9.99. The DVD contains the TV movies The Night Stalker (74 minutes) and the The Night Strangler (90 minutes) that preceded the television series. The DVD also contains a couple of featurettes about each movie. Here's the amazon.com link:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846

Because I am uncertain whether I would want a complete Kolchak series set (when it is inevitably released), this budget DVD provides an affordable opportunity to see one of the major inspirations for Chris Carter's work (The X-Files in particular) and see Frank's daddy (Darren McGavin) as "an investigative journalist [who] takes a stab at the supernatural". OOHH!

Hey thanks for the heads-up.  I heard that the Kolchack Series was being released but never heard of a time table.  I had heard sometime back that Chris Carter was intrested into making The Night Stalker into a movie.

What ISN'T Chris Carter wanting to make into a movie? :rofl:

Guest Seraphim

Didn't Darren McGavin also show up in a X-Files episode as Mulder's mentor? And who can forget his role in A Christmas Story. XD I seem to recall that the Sci-Fi Channel showed Kolchak back in the mid 90's....

Didn't Darren McGavin also show up in a X-Files episode as Mulder's mentor?

Yeah.... Can't say the title...but it was the one about the hurricane in Florida, and the water-creature. "From the Deep"...? Sorry....too many days without adequate sleep for remembering titles. :alien:

Yeah....  Can't say the title...but it was the one about the hurricane in Florida, and the water-creature.  "From the Deep"...?  Sorry....too many days without adequate sleep for remembering titles. :alien:

Aye, Darren played Arthur Dales--the agent who first discovered the X-Files during the Hoover years in Season 5's "Travelers". He later surfaced in sunny Florida in Season 6's "Agua Mala". Arthur Dales--no, the other Arther Dales (i.e., his brother)--appeared in "The Unnatural" later that season. The DVD's have a few alternate scenes with Darren as Arthur (instead of M. Emmet Walsh, who plays the "other" Arthur).

Whew!

Edited by Forza

.... for those who may remember he also played the very first incarnation of Oscar Goldman in the first pilot movie of "The Six Million Dollar Man", he walked very stiffly with a cane. ---just thought i'd throw that in there!

~se7en :ouro:

BEER---> Just ordered "Night Stalker" on Amazon. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. While reading the reviews, one critic called it 'The Father' of XFiles. As he discussed it further, CC's name was brought up.

BELCH

Guest A Stranger

I read on the Abyss that Johnny Cash was set to play Frank's dad but wasn't able due to health conditions. Darren McGavin's cool but Cash is the dream father for Frank on so many levels!