Another new X-Files-esque TV show to commence.

ethsnafu

Barely a month goes by these days without another new TV show being announced that cites the X-Files as a source of inspiration and this time it's Buffy meets X-Files although I'm fairly sure that was the template that Torchwood adopted as well.

One would assume ’round The CW headquarters Kevin Williamson, creator of the network’s biggest hit The Vampire Diaries, is the man. Williamson is developing a new supernatural series about a group of paranormal investigators — described as “The X-Files meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer” — envisioned as a companion series to Diaries. There’s no deal in place, but Williamson’s hitmaker status ought to flush this one through pilot season. (Of course, 2009 me said similar things about the now-defunct Gossip Girl spinoff.) Deadline hears that Vampire Diaries co-creator Julie Plec is in talks to co-write the project. The series has no direct connection with The Vampire Diaries.

After a brief lull, Williamson is again approaching the heights of his late nineties Dawson’s Creek/Scream heyday: William’s script for the franchise reboot Scream 4 hits theaters on April 15, 2011.

As I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only ones not doing the X-Files at the moment are 20th Century Fox. With all the thinly veiled remakes and numerous homages isn't it time they either a) commissioned a third film or b) had a TV special instead in. Can you image XF back on the small screen even if it was just for one last time. Surely that would be the TV event for the year?

Eth

https://www.collider.com/2010/11/29/kevin-williamson-vampire-diaries-series/

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WaveCrest

I saw a news article about this on Zap2it earlier tonight Mark. You would think 20th Century Fox would be doing their best to get The X Files back on the small screen in some way, or greenlighting a third feature film. And you're right, it seems the only people who aren't doing anything is 20th Century Fox.

I don't think they appreciate the value of the property they own Richard but clearly everyone else does. Take any show and say you are going to do a nod to the X-Philes and the entertainment blogs and websites cover the story like crazy. There were more articles generated for the Castle homage than would ever have been generated by a bog standard episode of the show itself. That's the power of brand X-Files.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest WaveCrest

There were more articles generated for the Castle homage than would ever have been generated by a bog standard episode of the show itself. That's the power of brand X-Files.

Eth

That's impressive when you consider that in the second half of it's run the internet was more well known.