Millennium Alumnus on Lie To Me

Rate this topic

Guest arcanamundi

Guest arcanamundi

One of our favorite villains will be guest starring on an upcoming episode of Lie To Me! He should prove a formidable adversary for Cal Lightman! Read about it here...

Guest Charger

Awesome! Doug is brilliant! He has that villain face! But I always see him as Tooms!

Lie To Me is actually one of my favourite shows right now...Tim Roth is beyond brilliant!

z5488436O.jpg

I love how the article bills him as 'Horace Goodspeed' from Lost. As memorable as that role may be (not very memorable in my opinion) the man's Eugene Victor Tooms. Always has been, always will be. Mind you I'm surprised to see him back on the screen so soon. I would have expected it to have been at least thirty years before we saw him again. :oneeyedwinK

Thanks for sharing this news,

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

I agree with Charger: Tim Roth makes the show worth watching. You don't need anything else. But the best episodes so far were the ones with strong antagonists: Lennie James and Jason Dohring for example. Doug is a fine choise. Very underrated man.

Guest Charger

I would even go so far as to say that Tim Roth is one of the best lead actors on tv right now...at times he even surpasses Hugh Laurie with his over the top acting. Although it did take some time not to think him covered in blood on the back seat of a car screaming his ass off!:biggrin:

I have a few friends are absolutely hooked on this show and I was about to dip in when I'm sure I read it was trailing in the ratings a little and its future looked uncertain. Mind you, they say that about every show these days. Tim Roth is an outstanding actor, I've been a fan of his for some years although Hugh Laurie has House has been an absolute revelation to me. I remember him from his 'British' days when he always played the damp, effete, upper-class berk and was rarely seen in a role outside of that. He was a sort of comedic Hugh Grant but boy did he open my eyes on House. I have an American friend who told me his accent is so good her mother still believes he his American.

Anyhow, since you guys rate Lie To Me so highly I will check it out.

Eth

Guest Sidewinder

When I started watching Lie to Me I thought it would be boring after some episodes because of it's premise. You can't fill a few seasons commenting human face impressions, right? They made clear I was wrong. It's all Tim Roth. Without him it really would be like House without Laurie; expendable. Tim is very theatrical, very dramatic in a stage actor way but it fits to the character he plays. Currently they show season two here and by now I love it.

Anyway, did you saw Laurie as Dr. Slippery? After his success with House they released a box set with all the six (?) episodes, re-titled the show Dr. Slippery, put a phrase like "With Hugh Laure from House, MD" on it and it was fairly sold. Fame changes a lot.

Guest arcanamundi

I would even go so far as to say that Tim Roth is one of the best lead actors on tv right now...at times he even surpasses Hugh Laurie with his over the top acting. Although it did take some time not to think him covered in blood on the back seat of a car screaming his ass off!:biggrin:

I agree about Roth being one of the best on tv right now. I only got around to seeing Reservoir Dogs after I got hooked on Lie To Me. Great movie, but I gotta say Tim's American accent was a bit shaky in that film. I'm glad he doesn't have to affect one on LTM. Laurie does have a flawless American accent, I must say. (Funny how many British actors - and Australian ones - are working on American tv nowadays, playing American characters.)

Lie To Me has gone through a rather odd arc with the Lightman character, recently pushing the 'brilliant but difficult' act, like they're trying to out-House House, the result putting him in the out-house with a lot of fans! tongue.gif

Still, they been consistent in developing his character, with his tough guy background, he seems to be bored with the board room, more attracted to risk and danger than in writing that next book. He can't stand being in the office and will find any excuse to get out on the street and mix it up with low lives and gang bangers. Given his background, it seems its what he's more comfortable with.

He really is an interesting contrast to Frank Black, our Dr. Lightman. The mind reels to imagine a team up. Its almost inconceivable.

I noticed Arye Gross (who was Ed, our favorite obsessive writer from season 3 episode Skull and Bones) on The Mentalist the other day, I checked his imdb page and he's been pretty busy. Has appeared on Lie to Me, Leverage and others shows in the past years.