Criminal Minds

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

Thought I'd start a thread for the CBS drama series Criminal Minds, which is about the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit who track down serial killers. I don't know a lot about this show (and haven't watched a single episode in full), other than Mandy Patinkin (Chicago Hope) used to be in the show and that the voice of Fat Tony in The Simpsons, Joe Mantegna, joined in the third season. The show regularly wins the 9 pm timeslot on Wednesday night in the US.

I watched a bit of an episode recently where a serial killer was after a mother for his daughter.

In the New Year a Criminal Minds spin-off starring Forrest Whittaker begins on CBS.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have watched this show since day one and have the first five seasons on DVD. I absolutely love it and it is in my top favorite slots with Millennium, X-Files, and NCIS. Try and start from the beginning Richard, if you can, you will appreciate it so much more. :ouroborous:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

I haven't watched this either in full only an episdoe here or there and I love Mandy Patankin, he was in one of my favorite shows on tv, Dead Like Me. :) I will have to give this show a try, i have heard nothing but good things about it. :) Thanks Richard for starting this. :) He was in something else also, but i can't remember it.

Laura :)

I recall Mandy from "Dick Tracy". He has something of a reputation for interpreting the work of Stephen Sondheim and he joined Madonna for a duet on 'What Can You Lose' from that movie. He has a super voice as well as a talent for acting. And need I mention he as in 'Yentl'? I think everyone will remember him in that.

I wonder what went on with 'Criminal Minds'? I heard he simply didn't show up for a read through and the next thing was a statement was issued saying he was leaving due to creative differences. Has he ever given an interview about why he left the show?

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest Sidewinder

I wonder what went on with 'Criminal Minds'? I heard he simply didn't show up for a read through and the next thing was a statement was issued saying he was leaving due to creative differences. Has he ever given an interview about why he left the show?

Yes, he did. Sorry but I can't recall the exact source. But he said it was because the show was to violent. He had a problem with that from day one but it started to get worse from ep to ep. Finally he decided that he dosn't want to be involved in a show that violent and left. It was quiet a surprise for the producers but they reacted very fast and shortly after Mandy left Joe Mantegna showed up.

I saw almost every episode and there were some I really liked and reminded me on Millennium. And then there were some eps with "just another serial killer". After I've seen Forrest Whittakers remarkable performance on The Shield I'm really looking forward to his spin-off.

Criminal Minds is just like any other show, they have their good aspects and episodes and they have their bad. The show is dark because of the subject matter, because it's just like Millennium, it deals with criminals and their acts of evil. It's reality, some people can handle it, others can't. I personally believe it's more dark then it is graphic. I absolutely look forward to their quotes, and you never know what song I'm going to hear from one episode to the next. It really is a good show, but just like Millennium or the X-Files, or like evil, blood and gore movies, it's not for everyone. Guess we're back to the old saying, "See for yourself." :ouroborous:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest WaveCrest

I wasn't sure until recently when Joe Mantegna joined Criminal Minds's main cast. I thought he didn't join until the fourth season, but read on a website in the past week that Mandy Patinkin left partway through the third season, with Joe Mantegna joining afterwards. Does he play the head of the unit, or is it Thomas Gibson's character?

Thomas Gibson's character, Aaron Hotchner, has always been the head of the unit with Mandy (Jason Gideon) and Joe's (David Rossi) characters playing lead consultants. There was a stretch when the character Derek Morgan, played by Shemar Moore (yum), was head of the group, but that was changed for the storyline in that season.

I read that Mandy just didn't show up for work and he was written out of the show, and that he left because of creative differences, and that it had nothing to do with his contract or salary. I really liked his character, but I must say that I like Joe's just as much. Joe is a great replacement.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)