The Indiana Jones films

Guest WaveCrest

Guest WaveCrest

As there has been some discussion in the film sequels thread about the Indiana Jones films I thought it would be a good idea to start a separate thread for the film series, which started back in 1981 with Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Haven't seen the Crystal Skull movie. My favourite would be Raiders of the Lost Ark, followed by The Last Crusade, and then The Temple of Doom. Not certain but I think The Temple of Doom is still cut in the UK. And how the BBFC gave Raiders of the Lost Ark a PG certificate baffles me (I'm thinking of the scene towards the end with the villains and the Ark of the Covenant).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you Richard, 1, 3, and then 2. The Crystal Skull is in the category of number 2, entertaining but not a favorite, even somewhat forgettable. I might see it again but I would have to be in the mood for it.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

I liked 1 [ark] and 3 [grail] equally and 2 [doom] more each time i have seen it but still no where as much as the others. 4 [skull] was to hoaky for me and too many have done the " i din't know I was a father" sub plot. :mage:

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

I love 'Doom'. It's easily my favourite of the three but I have read interviews with Spielberg when he has said that it isn't a film he enjoys these days. He describes himself having been in a dark place when the script was written and as a consequence the film is much, much darker in tone than the other two. I remember being taken to the cinema to see it when I was a child and being absolute horrified, I do mean horrified, at the sacrificial scenes with Mola Ram tearing the hearts of the victims. [by the way how did he do that when a) they remained alive afterwards and b) there was no wound on their chest] To this day I still cringe at the banquet scenes and the scenes that must have the most creepy crawlies in one place at one time ever.

When you think about it, it was a very, very different film and it was the only one in which the villain did not meet a sticky end by being killed by the artefact they were seeking. One, three and four followed an almost identical pattern.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest Mikal C Johnson  KtCym ECA

I'm a huge Indyfan... some people at work even call me Indy because of my hats.

My list, in order, is Crusade, Raiders, Crystal Skull, and Temple dead last. Some episodes of YIJC rank ahead of Temple for me.

Guest WaveCrest

There were several scenes in the 80's Indiana Jones films which made me squirm. One which was especially bad was the banquet scene with the snake in The Temple of Doom.

I didn't realise until a few years ago that it in chronological order it came before Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The banquet scene was beyond revolting and it still makes me queasy even as an adult. When I watched Temple of Doom recently I had completely forgotten that Dan Aykroyd had a blink and you'll miss it appearance right at the beginning of the film. I also learned that we had scenes cut in the UK broadcast which clearly shows the wound on the chest of the sacrificial victim which then heals magically. I had always thought this was a mistake but overzealous cuts are to blame sadly.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Yes, the banquet was a revolting scene, and may be the reason why #2 is #3 on my list. Still a good movie though.

You're right Richard, it is chronologically first, I had forgotten that bit of trivia.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Guest WaveCrest

One of those scenes in the Indiana Jones films which makes me flinch was the scene in which Julian Glover's character drinks out of the 'cup' in the cave in The Last Crusade...all I will say is, 'the after effects'. Eeuurrgghh.

Guest Charger

Indy movies are among my all time greatest movies list without a doubt!

I love 'em all! The first one probably being my favourite but the others aren't far behind...Haven't watched 'em in a while and just bought a dvd box set so that I could finally watch them on dvd...