Wallander

model217

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WaveCrest

Thought I'd start a new thread for the detective TV series Wallander, both for the Swedish original series and the Kenneth Branagh version.

David - To date I think two series of the Kenneth Branagh version of Wallander have been shown on BBC1, with a third series in the works. I thought there were two series to date of the original Swedish TV series, but I've noticed in the Christmas TV listings two episodes being shown on BBC Three in the next 10-14 days (these may be from a new third series).

I had wondered if the original Swedish TV series was available on DVD, and found out a few months ago that only the first series is available to buy on DVD at the moment, on ezyDVD and Amazon.co.uk. The prices though are very high at the moment.

Good to know there is more coming. I guess I'm having a hard time because the series are only 3 episodes long. I was thinking there was more since the ones I saw were series 2. I see Amazon has the DVDs but it doesn't say what region they are.

After my wife and I watched the last one,I turned and said if Monk was the defective detective,then Wallander is the morose detective.

It must be doing well as the show is costing an absolute fortune to make by British TV standards. The first series cost a whopping £7.5 million for three episodes with part of this being generated by co-funding from American WGBH Boston and German ARD Degeto. They had to pump additional money into it which came from Swedish investors and Swedish locations were used to benefit from a tax deduction. I don't think there's been a British TV show before that has had so many hands in the pot.

It must be the reputation of Kenneth Branagh that helped it on its way.

Eth

josew.gif

style5,Little-spc-Roedecker.png

Guest WaveCrest

A feature length two-part Wallander has been shown on BBC Four tonight called "Firewall". Was this a special episode, outside of the two or three series to date?

Guest WaveCrest

Well it appears that there was another Swedish Wallander TV series before the current one. BBC Four are showing at the moment episodes from the first series. Another episode being shown in the next few days is "The Pyramid".