Who Else Bought Harsh Realm?

Rate this topic

Guest Second Coming

Guest Second Coming

I got it last tuesday and have watched through Three Percenters. I'm not overly impressed really. I think the show had some good potential and I liked the whole concept. Maybe if it got some legs underneath it then it could have been a great show.

Guest lilblackgirl

i picked it up, but have only watched the first disk. i'm enjoying it so far. i got a kick out of seeing the blonde attached to the bounty hunter who was the dancer in the pilot for MM. i also noticed that the guy who plays the bounty hunter is in season 7 of XF and is watching HR and commenting about how good the show is. Carter's got a real sense of humor in his crossovers.

i'm sure i'll get a feeling about how this show would have been once i get further into it. i'm trying to space it out and not just watch them all back to back.

I bought it last Tuesday. I had the episodes previously from a DVD-R copy off of FX broadcasts.

While I don't dislike Harsh Realm, I have admiration rather than affection for it. I remember watching the first three episodes when they first broadcast, and seeing Lance, Terry, and Sarah Jane so soon after MillenniuM's inexcusable cancellation was really hard to take. In other words, Harsh Realm was too 1013ish for its own good AT THE TIME. The X-Files was starting to lose its originality, MillenniuM was "evacuated" prematurely, and Harsh Realm just seemed like Work Projects Act for recently unemployed actors and actresses in Vancouver.

Nevertheless, I am happy to have a permanent copy of a show that was inevitably doomed from the beginning. Despite its stillborn birth, I value all 1013 productions even more, now that they sadly have become extinct.

Edited by Forza

Guest Regan MacNeil

I did! Doesn't anyone else like this show but me? Obviously it's not nearly as good as Millennium or The X-Files, but I still thought it was a good show. I think the only major problem I had with it was that it only lasted 9 episodes, so the show doesn't really go anywhere. Plus, the way I see it, the first 9 episodes of The X-Files weren't that great either. Squeeze was really good, but what about Space, Ghost in the Machine, and The Jersey Devil? Anyway, I agree it's not the best thing Ten Thirteen ever did, but it wasn't a bad show. It certainly wasn't as embarassing as The Lone Gunmen.

Guest chrisnu

I've rented the first disc, and have only watch the Pilot so far. It mostly kept my interest, but I thought that the writing wasn't up to par with XF or MLM, especially the dialogue. It got really corny in places (dearest darling?), and the pseudo-language was grating (a-hole?). It was a little fun to see some of the staple 1013 actors in other roles, and it wasn't as embarrassing as The Lone Gunmen, definitely.

Guest Second Coming
I did! Doesn't anyone else like this show but me? Obviously it's not nearly as good as Millennium or The X-Files, but I still thought it was a good show. I think the only major problem I had with it was that it only lasted 9 episodes, so the show doesn't really go anywhere. Plus, the way I see it, the first 9 episodes of The X-Files weren't that great either. Squeeze was really good, but what about Space, Ghost in the Machine, and The Jersey Devil? Anyway, I agree it's not the best thing Ten Thirteen ever did, but it wasn't a bad show. It certainly wasn't as embarassing as The Lone Gunmen.

No, I like it. Like I said I think it had good potential It just needed to get some legs under it. But it only lasted 3 episodes. I just think the writing could have been a lot better. I still have 3 episodes to go and then I'll check out the special features. There are things I like about the show and I'm really drawn to it...It just could have been better. And yes the "Dearest Darling" stuff is annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Second Coming

Okay I finally watched all of the episodes. I think the pilot,WWII episode and Cincinnatti were really good. Cincinatti showed this show had some promise.

• Elders (Admins)

I finally got to see this show and having now watched the first 4 episodes (disc 1 of 3), I was amazed that Fox pulled it after screening just 3 episodes. I think it was underated and certain elements had a classic sci-fi feel to them. I love anything millitary and felt it was a nice blend between action and sci-fi. Sarah-Jane Redmond has me glued to the screen whenever she appears and I can't figure out yet if she's good or bad. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series but sadened to know it was so short lived. I have to say, it knocks spots off The Lone Gunmen which was insulting and meade me cringe when I watched.

Guest Pencil Machine Operator

They used to show it here at, like, 2am. I recorded a few episodes, but I have to say, I felt like I was watching them as a matter of service to 1013, rather than actually enjoying it.

I found it rather sad, seeing SJ Redmond and Terry O' Quinn landed with worthless, hammy roles.

mmmmm..... worthless hammy roles..... drool. :tasty:

• 1 year later...
Guest Laurent.
I found it rather sad, seeing SJ Redmond and Terry O' Quinn landed with worthless, hammy roles.

Ok, I know this topic died a long time ago but since I just bought Harsh Realm and I really enjoyed it I went over every old posts on this intriguing series. Just wanted to had that Sarah-Jane Redmond and Terry O'Quinn were really the best actors of the group. DB Sweeney wasn't bad but Pinnochio and Hobbes were really not interesting roles as they were really sterotyped as the good/naive soldier and the brute with an heart of gold (as Dan Sackheim repeats in the making of and commentary). Inga Fossa was one of the most puzzling character of any 1013 work and with such a talented actress it could have lead to really great character devellopment. And Terry O'Quinn was perfect as the poetic and ruthless leader. Anyway, my opinion: a REALLY promising series that could have become the masterpiece of Chris Carter. Especially since Chris Owens (one of my favourite actor) was prepared to joined the series and William Gibson started helping Chris Carter to created a more complex world and mythology.