Reconstructing: Cryptozoology

Rate this topic

XFLexiconMatt

I thought I had heard of all the weird and wonderful creatures out there but it seems I missed the Tikoloshe. Thanks for sharing that. I have done a little reading and it is certainly an intriguing concept. A lot of theories abound these days that creatures like Tikoloshe and Mothman are not cryptids in the traditional sense but spiritual entities. It does answer my earlier argument about why no bodies are ever found if the cryptids are less like animals and more in the realm of spirits and demons.

I know the mothman is certainly thought of these days as a spiritual entity rather than an actual undiscovered creature.

Eth

Oh I've heard "Tokoloshe Man" but I have to confess it was the version recorded by the Happy Mondays back in the 90's. That said, I didn't pay any attention to the words and certainly didn't realised a cryptid was being referred to. You live and you learn I guess. Here's a great video of nature's oddities and evidently a great many of them are caused by nothing more than congenital birth defects but some are highly intriguing.

Eth

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

I think Mothman is considered a cryptid because he is thought to be a bird or seen as some form of a bird but a lot of people do think of him as spiritual as a forboding entity to warn people of impending doom. He has been seen all over the world or some form of him and many think he is the result of the curse of Chief Cornstalk. There is a terrific documentary coming out in February that we had the pleasure of viewing at the Mothman festival and it is called Eyes of the Mothman, very detailed and very interesting, deals with more of the idea of the cursing by Chief Cornstalk. :)

Laura :)

I've always considered him to be more a spiritual entity. I know some researchers have proposed various spiritual entities that seem to match descriptions of the mothman. Now call this hyperbole if you will but I can't help but think that this thing is demonic. It's just a gut instinct I have. Every time I visualise the entity or even read about it I get an uneasy feeling. I had not heard of The Cornstalk Curse so I'm grateful to Laura for sharing that but of information. If you're curious, here's a link that explains it somewhat.

Eth

https://www.prairieghosts.com/cornstalk.html