Who are the 10 worst serial killers in the US?

Rate this topic

Answers.com

Who are the 10 worst serial killers in the US?

1. Richard Speck

2. Ed Gein

3. John Wayne Gacey

4. Richard Ramirez (The Nightstalker)

5. Ted Bundy

6. Jeff Dahmer

7. David Berkowitz (Son of Sam) (Dangerous but the most dumb of all)

8. Gary Leon Ridgway (Green River Killer)

9. Henry Lee Lucas & Otis Toole (duo w/over 200 kills)

10. Pee Wee Gaskins

Alternate pick - Richard "Iceman" Kuklinski

Alternate #2 - H.H. Holmes (1895) his estimated tally ranges between 27 and 230

Who Are the 10 Worst Serial Killers In The US?

I was very surprised that Albert Fish was not mentioned. To me he should be near the top of the list, if not at the top. Just looking at his picture gives me the creeps.

post-3933-0-34134900-1294256231_thumb.jp

ALBERT FISH

The Life & Crimes of One of America's Most Deranged Killers

There are few killers in American history that are remembered today as being as deranged and fiendish as the seemingly kind and harmless, Albert Fish. He looked like every child's favorite grandfather but behind the quiet facade of his silver hair and mustache lurked a hideous monster who preyed on the young and the innocent with his horrific "instruments of hell" -- a meat cleaver, a butcher knife and a saw. He was the self-admitted molester of more than 400 children during a span of 20 years and in the words of one of the shocked psychiatrists who examined him, he lived a life of "unparalleled perversity." Albert Fish remains one of the oldest men ever executed in the electric chair but it was a death that came too late for many of his victims.

I wasn't surprised to read that Mrs. Fish was odd herself. Here's the full story.

https://www.prairieghosts.com/fish.html

Here's the trailer to the movie that I have yet to see myself.

Dahmer is a particularly unpleasant case if you ask me. I read a book written about him by his father and it made me feel dirty on more than occasion. A friend of mine loaned me a sizeable collection of serial killer books and I had to put them down after a few of them. It doesn't make for pleasant reading at all. That said, I have seen an alarming number of fansites for Jeffrey Dahmer over the years which beggars belief. A considerable number of them were started by women who seemed enamoured of him which I could never fathom as he was a) a homosexual so their chances of anything being reciprocated were nill and b) a revolting killer and cannibal so why anyone would want him to reciprocate in the first place is beyond me.

The cult of the serial killer is a truly deranged thing to see.

Eth

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it depends on what one means by "worst." Highest body count? Most gruesome deaths? Most noteriety? It's subjective.

I've also seen H.H. Holmes listed as high as 600. No way of every knowing.

I guess it depends on what one means by "worst." Highest body count? Most gruesome deaths? Most noteriety? It's subjective.

I've also seen H.H. Holmes listed as high as 600. No way of every knowing.

I totally agree with you Terri, I don't believe it's as much the body count as it is their method. That's why I mentioned Albert Fish and feel he should be on the list. Besides killing, he ate his victims, and preferred children. I said it before and I'll say it again, just looking at his picture gives me the creeps.

Mark, I agree, it's hard to read about them for any length of time. Guess that's why it takes a special kind of person to be a profiler. Imagine going to class, every day for years reading and studying them. I would end up a basket case. :wacko:

I do find them (and the human mind) fascinating to read about and watch documentaries. Where I see the problem for profilers is having to actually deal with the crime scenes, the victims' families, and getting into the heads of these psychos on a daily basis. I remember seeing a documentary that mentioned FBI profilers burning out pretty hard and fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes teedub I agree, they do burn out fast with what they see and do on a daily basis. Do you remember the name of the documentary?

I sure love the show "Criminal Minds." It portrays the characters as human and vulnerable, rather then super-profilers. Great show.

I don't remember, sorry. This was back in the 90s. Brain cells have died since then. :-P I want to say it was on A&E so maybe one of their crime type shows.

Thanks for coming back and letting me know. I will research it and see what I come up with.

I have a 2-disc set called "Crimes of the Century," that is really interesting. Here's the link at Amazon, but there are other places that are selling it for a lot less. Found a better site that tells you more about the set's contents; here's the link.

https://www.gonefunky.com/product/crimes-of-the-century-dvd-2-disc-new-headline-crimes