Who are the 10 worst serial killers in the US?

Rate this topic

Guest Wepwawet

i did some research a few years ago for a series of books o' mine on a character named "Jack" Unterweger - Austrian-born, but I understand he committed a number of his crimes in the US and managed to become something of a celebrity as a result.

Just wondering if any readers happened to have any info or opinions to share on this particular character?

Here's a section from Wikipedia:

Johann "Jack" Unterweger (16 August 1950 – 29 June 1994) was an Austrian serial killer who murdered prostitutes in several countries. First convicted of a 1974 murder, he was released in 1990 due in part to a campaign by intellectuals and politicians, who regarded Unterweger as an example of rehabilitation. He became a journalist and minor celebrity, but within months of his release started killing again. He committed suicide following a conviction for several murders.

Here's a link to images of him and it appears that John Malkovich played him on stage in "The Infernal Comedy."

Guest Wepwawet

Here's a section from Wikipedia:

Here's a link to images of him and it appears that John Malkovich played him on stage in "The Infernal Comedy."

Malkovich is one of my favourites. Very interesting - thanks for the snippets. ;)

• 1 year later...

I think worst is all relative. THere was a spree killer named Robert Carl Hohenberger. ( AKA Frank Green). He killed a couple of my friends. In total i Louisiana in 1978 I think he killed 7. Prior to that he had fled Riverside Califirnia where he was wanted for rape. He'd been a volunteer deputy before that. He killed himself or was killed when police caught up to him in Washington state. He was a sadist. He tortured the girls before he killed them. THere was a male victim, who may have been tortured as well before he died. The male was at a convenience store with his female friend, because she was frightened to work that night. Anothe rfemale had called in sick, too frightened to work. It was a thursday night. That's the night thekiller chose to abduct his victims. Well the young man was there, and so he got taken as well. Those two were my older brothers best friend, and a female friend of his, and they were both my friends as well. That one, is the worst in my mind. Actually they all are. There is none less evil than another, except for the delusional killers who are mentally ill. THey really can't help it. But it doesn't make the victims less dead.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks. It was such a tragedy. 1978 Morgan City Louisiana. He was classified as a spree killer because there was no cooling off period. If what I heard he did to the victims was half true even, he was pretty sick.

John E Douglas went after the GRK and interviewed lots of the Sk's. He also contracted some kind of Meningitis or something while hunting the GRK. Literally split part of his brain. They had him fitted for a headstone in Arlington. But he survived. He says yeah, ideally they like to rotate the agents out after a year or two to avoid breakdowns and curnout.