Why did they kill Catherine?

Rate this topic

Guest Bad Boy Dazza

• Elders (Moderators)

As far as I know, Megan Gallagher wasn´t too happy, when she realized, that she would become a better sidekick in the show, she took the role in the first place, because she liked the strong character of Catherine and she was looking forward to play her. When Catherine and Frank ultimately seperated at the beginning of season two, there was not much left for her to do in the rest of the season and that wasn´t the role, she wanted to play anymore. So, Morgan and Wong decided to take Catherine out of the show and sacrificed her for the Big-Bang-Ending of Season Two.

But, as far as I remember, Megan already had this issues with her role during season one.

Guest Bad Boy Dazza

hmm thanks for responding - that is a great pity. She really was a great match for the character of Frank. Although sometimes I found myself wondering how Frank got such a hot babe :laugh:

Guest Bad Boy Dazza

ha ha no I agree that Frank had a lot of cool/sexy factors that I am sure many women would find very attractive :smile: but at the same time you could tell he would not be a hit with many women (perhaps the more shallow types).

Hey, Frank's hot, speaking from a female point of view. And his voice, oh my. :wub:

Guest Bad Boy Dazza

hmm thank you great information :-)

Yes I can see that sometimes the Catherine segments could be a bit of a bore in some ways, and the producers may have considered at least reducing her screen time or improving her role, but her character was still essential to Frank imo and she should not have been so heavily reduced and dropped.

During one of our SKYPE discussions it was brought up the Chris Carter told Morgan and Wong to dump Catherine. Since it was very unpopular with most viewers who was actually is responsable has been blurred. [iMHO] :ouroborous:

I have a problem with the "most viewers." Makes me wonder how many they asked. I also feel that a lot of viewers voiced an opinion, obviously negative, of Catherine without totally understanding her. People to this day will say they dislike her, yet she really was essential to Frank. She kept him balanced, and she explained how she felt in the pilot episode:

CATHERINE: Who was that?

FRANK: His name is Watts. He had some information for me.

CATHERINE: He sat out there for over an hour. He could have come to the door.

FRANK: I don't think he wanted to impose.

CATHERINE: I can handle imposition, Frank. What I can't handle is secrecy.

[He sits on the bed next to her. She sits up.]

FRANK: I don't keep secrets, Catherine. I'll tell you anything you want.

CATHERINE: You think you're protecting me but you make it worse, Frank. You can't shut the world out for me. You can't ask me to pretend that I don't know what you do.

FRANK: Everyone pretends. We all make believe. These men I help catch - make us.

CATHERINE: We're raising a daughter, Frank. The real world starts to seep in. You can't stop it.

[He looks at her intensely.]

FRANK: I want you to make believe that I can.

[she kisses him on the forehead.]

Secrecy was all she dealt with from Frank and the group, and Megan played the character perfectly. :notworthy::clapping:

• Like 1

Guest Bad Boy Dazza

Earthnut, I think Walkabout means the decision to drop her was unpopular with most viewers.

I have a problem with the "most viewers." Makes me wonder how many they asked.