Why did they kill Catherine?

Rate this topic

Guest Bad Boy Dazza

Guest Bad Boy Dazza

I actually thought towards the end of season 2 going off to the woods to escape the virus etc that we were going to get some great Frank and Catherine stories coming up in season 3, and I was so disappointed when they killed her in that last season 2 ep.

hmm thanks for responding - that is a great pity. She really was a great match for the character of Frank. Although sometimes I found myself wondering how Frank got such a hot babe :laugh:

Dude! Lance Henriksen is gorgeous! I can't imagine him with anyone but hot babes.

As antagonistic as she was in season 2, she played that role well. It added another dimension of tension to the show that I thought made season 2 more intense. She was the "safe zone" in season 1 for the most part, which for an actor/actress, may have been a little boring, but that's just an assumption on my part. At least until the evil started hitting home, figuratively and literally speaking!

It seemed like the writers in season 3 were a little more apt to focus on Hollis as an individual than they were on Catherine in the first 2 seasons. I guess it's just a little deceptive in that Gallagher had her name in the opening credits, but probably had less screen time than the Watts, Bletcher, and maybe even the Means character. Things just don't go according to plan, I guess. Granted, Anamnesis did well in showcasing the character of Catherine she had played so well up to that point, but maybe it would have been nice to see something like that a time or two earlier. The writing would have had to be different and creative, as sending her to Germany with Frank and Peter would have been really awkward! I guess she was never meant to play crimefighting partner, but more of a marital support partner, which kind of gave her a diminished role for this type of show. But then again, making Catherine the fast action hero that Frank was in the end of many season 1 episodes would have been unrealistic as well.

It may not have been the most intense part in the show, but it seemed to work and flesh out well for the 2+ years we had her.

:rock2:

• 3 months later...

BEER---> I started watching 'The Mentalist' last night. Looking at the credits at the start of the show and up popped Megan Gallager's name. She looked great and had a good full role.

BELCH

:tongue: Well, perhaps they were counting on more "mature" audiences watching a more cerebral program such as Millennium. :rock::wub: LOL!

ha ha no I agree that Frank had a lot of cool/sexy factors that I am sure many women would find very attractive :smile: but at the same time you could tell he would not be a hit with many women (perhaps the more shallow types).

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...

The character of Catherine Black had a lot of untapped potential. We saw it in episodes like "The Well-Worn Lock" as well as "Anamnesis." IMO, the end of season 2 should have concluded with a mysterious knock on the cabin door, with a secretive Millennium Group member, perhaps in a monastery hood, delivering by candlelight another dose to protect Catherine, and as a result, the entire Black family. This would be similar to the character X from the X-Files who helps Mulder before his death. She was essential to Frank's light, as much as Jordan was. It would have been great to see them find the strength to the return to the Yellow House as a family again.

Edited by davidmarx2000
  • Like 1