Unexplained Surge In Earthquakes

Rate this topic

Earthnut

• Elders (Moderators)

The Mount St Helen's quakes occur because of plate tectonics/consequent volcanism. That area is well monitored with seismometers and other geological doodads.

But intraplate quakes such as the Arkansas ones, or those around Las Vegas a while ago, are gradually becoming understood. The New Madrid fault, as Walkabout says, is potentially scary, not just because of the possible extent but also because New Madrid is right on a curve of the Mississippi River.

Beerbelch - those are "tempting fate" words! :oneeyedwinK

We get earthquakes in the UK. But only little ones, because we're terribly British about that sort of thing and only have rather genteel geology. :tongue:

whatever the cause [man or nature] they better hope it doesn't activate the new madrid fault . it could devistate the midwest. :pumpkin4:

If that's the one that runs near Chicago,didn't they have quite a shaker last year? We have friends that live near Rockford Ill. and they called us about it. Seems it shook the pictures off the bookshelves. I remember as a kid in the 60's we had a little one in Michigan. My mother thought she was getting dizzy and grabbed the counter to keep from falling. I think I played right through it.

Illinois is riddled with small fault lines including several up by Rockford ,IL..

the new madrid is hugh and abutts the walbash seismic area along that river and the ohio river. in 1811-12 a major quake hit the new madrid and altered the mississipi river and created temperary water falls. if it hit today the causilty list would include millions not to mention those made homeless. very few building or bridges are built to withstand a major earthquake. https://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/sitemap.htm

BEER---> God i miss a little shake rattle and roll here in Southern California. It's been sooo long.

BELCH

EARTH----> Beer----> No, don't miss them. I was still living in the San Fernando Valley in 1971 when we had the big quake. Scared the bajeebers out of me as I hid under the covers. I don't miss them, and would rather shake, rattle and roll, on the dance floor. Let's dance----> Belch.

NUT

Mankind can't keep setting off atomic bombs, above or below ground, and mess with the weather, and expect everything to be just fine. Reminds me of the quote:

Did you really think you could call up the Devil and ask him to behave? Even the devil can quote scripture to meet his needs. (Fox Mulder from the X-Files episode "Die Hand Die Verletzt")

• Elders (Moderators)

Earthquakes are a natural phenomenon and there's no real evidence that any human activity can have any effect on them. I don't recall when the last underground detonation took place, but anyway there'd be no point in setting one off near a known fault as that would make no sense scientifically.

However, what does make a difference is in how we deal with them. From a statistical point of view, probably the safest earthquake zone to live in is California. And that's a combination of scientific and public awareness plus rigorously enforced building codes in major cities.