Catholicism and Millennium

Guest dubbljay

I agree with the feelings expresed about a streak of Catholic beliefs, for lack of a better way of puting it,in Millenium. The Hand of St. Sebastion comes to mind right away- He really is a Catholic saint, one of the martyrs. In Anamnesis, where the young girl finds the statue and seems to be receiving visions, Laura is sent by the Millenium Group to investigate. What she describes about the statues that show up mysteriously in the water, unaccompanied, and seem to choose their guardians, becoming impossibly heavy if someone else tries to move them, is based on fact...I know it sounds strange, but these statues are called Black Madonnas. Some are well known enough to have shrines and devotees worldwide, like the Lady of Monserrat in Spain and Our Mother of Charity ( La Caridad del Cobre) in Havana, Cuba. I have never responded to any questions or points of view in the Forums before, but this seemed like a good opportunity to share information on the Black Madonnas.......I also love and admire the understanding that Evil is more than bad or woefully unenlightened...Evil is real and we need to fight against it in the best way that we can, because this is who we are

I think the Midnight of the Century episode had catholic tones.

1 Lara tells Frank about her experience seeing her angel as a child, and that Father Esposito told her she'd have to become a nun if she kept having visions.

2 I believe that Jordan and Catherine attend a catholic church. Jordans pageant and the midnight mass at the end... seems to be a catholic church.

So if I am correct, Catherine was catholic. Frank probably was not, or else lapsed. Jordan attended the catholic church and Lara Means was most likely a lapsed catholic. The old man was the son of wealthy Poles smuggled out of harms way as a child during Hitlers reign. That means he was most likely Jewish by birth. So I think the group as a whole didn't mind your religion. It wanted your gifts!

I don't think the creators of the show, or the writers had anything against any other religion. It's just that in cinema, it seems that the popular way to go is catholic, probably because of the statuary, the solemnity and quietness blend in with shows like Millennium.

I dont' think they mentioned Watts' beliefs. He did go after that hand, but I think it was more because of it's millenniumistic value, I think to him, all the members of the millennium group from that era were saints.

I do have to wonder: given that the group was in favor of collecting relics like the cross of the crucifixion and others, why they did not want Watts to pursue his quest for the hand.

Back on track: Maybe the area in which the filming was done had an influence on the writers and their choice of churches?

My old roomie was a Catholic and is now a Pagan. I would often hear her say "Evil walks this Earth on 2 legs" even after she embraced paganism.

It seems the nature of every brand religious thought to have this kind of dichotomy, good vs.evil. Catholicism seems to portray this in a more outward sense with its representative Saints. A good many saints were canonized for their stand against evil and paying the ultimate price for doing so.