What Made You Watch?

Rate this topic

Guest fledgling666

Guest fledgling666

ok, i realize there are some of you here that watch other shows, like CSI and that sorta thing. so my question is, what set Millennium apart? why did you watch it?

for those that do watch shows like CSI, did you watch because of the forensic policework? the similarity to Silence of the Lambs- type action sequences?

for the x-files fans- did you watch just because it was another chris carter show? because you were hoping for some mythological similarities? etc.

for the others- was it the apocalyptic suspense? the impending doom? the ominous dark cloud over the world?

for me- i have to say, i don't watch CSI, and i likely never will. it doesn't have that other element. don't get me wrong- i loved to watch Homicide: Life on the Streets, but that was different, i normally don't watch cop shows, in fact, i don't watch much TV at all. what made me watch Millennium was the darkness, the forboding, the black cloud. i didn't care that it was about serial killers and trying to catch them, well, maybe a little, but mostly, i just wanted to watch despair and loathing and evil seeping into this world through the cracks in the souls of damaged men.

if that's what i believe set Millennium apart and made me watch, it is what i believe will be necessary to carry over into a film, if ever there will be a film. how can they do that? december 31 1999 has come and gone without nary a blink. how can they continue to convey that same level of darkness without the existing impending doom that the prospect of the end of the millennium brought on naturally in so many people, out there in the really real world?

One of the biggest reasons i watched it because it was very real......it was eerie...and dark. I know some episodes where off the beaten path but it was that type of television drama that was almost like a small movie...i.e Seven and Silence of the Lambs. I remember the writers from CSI mentioned MM as an influence and right now CSI is one of the hottest shows out there

Guest Wellington

Hi

I too really enjoyed the darkness of the show. I am very fond of these kind of ambiances, very gloomy, sometimes oppressive. I guess it is due to the pictures a la X-Files, which is still unique to these two titles. MM gives me a very particular mood: I do not really like watching it in the afternoon or during a sunny day. I prefer it in the long freezing winter nights (and we have loads of them up here in snowland), where no out-of-place outside life can spoil the feeling.

Frank's character was a big plus: complex, non stereotypical, and not the classic anti-hero either. However I guess the overall design of the show won it upon me.

Regards

Guest Cookyman

One of the main reasons i decided to watch Millennium is the fact i have been a huge Lance fan for years. He's been my fave character actor for a long time. The fact that Chris Carter was involved also got me interested in it.

Echoing Dust's comment..... It DID have a sense of reality to it. That was the draw to me. The thought that these things REALY COULD HAPPEN. That was what I loved about a lot of The X Files, minus the creatures bursting out of people's chests. MillenniuM, to me, seemed like someone took the darkness of the real world, and somehow painted this beautiful picture with it.

Just a thought....

Guest LucyButler2000
Hi

I too really enjoyed the darkness of the show. I am very fond of these kind of ambiances, very gloomy, sometimes oppressive. I guess it is due to the pictures a la X-Files, which is still unique to these two titles. MM gives me a very particular mood: I do not really like watching it in the afternoon or during a sunny day. I prefer it in the long freezing winter nights (and we have loads of them up here in snowland), where no out-of-place outside life can spoil the feeling.

Frank's character was a big plus: complex, non stereotypical, and not the classic anti-hero either. However I guess the overall design of the show won it upon me.

Regards

I agree with this reply almost 100%

Its the mood that Millennium sets for me when I watch. I'm not normally a dark or black (pun-intended) kinda person, but when the ads for this shows premiere aired I couldn't wait for it to start.

From Episode one I was hooked. The new dvds have captured that magic all over again and this time I got to see ALL of the episodes in the right order :)

I like the humanity of the show as well. Both its darkness and light. Of course the intro to my favorite character (hence the moniker ;) made the show even more enjoyable as time went by. I wonly wish the power-that-be could have made up their minds which direction they were going to go with the storyiline and stuck with it.

My two cents :)

..........not me. That fact that each season was it's own journey with just a few constants throughout made it the grandest, most brilliant, thrilling and unintentional happy accident in the history of, certainly, television. -(the happiest accident for me being virtually the entirety of S3 after the melodrama and silliness of the end of S2.)-One that could never be duplicated again, IMHO.

It's basically firm in my mind now that i really do not want a MM-movie. I feel it would be a huge mistake for a variety of reasons. Either having a Miniseries or reviving it for cable are the only ways i would want it to come back. I'm just convinced that movie would NOT work at all.

~se7en

Guest Seraphim

I think my reason for becoming interested very much echoes what others have said. It had a very real and believable feel to it. The characters were interestin and it was well written. I think the whole "mystical" asepct was what caught me the most. Even though the killers in season 1 were human (For the most part), it did convey a sense of greather depth to the darkness. Perhaps that is what is missing in a lot of cop shows. The whole "Man has his wife or business partner killed" type stories. Such things are just a reminder of the petty nature of people. MillenniuM made the darknes so much more interesting, present, and genuinely upsetting. I agree about making it into a film. Though I'd like to see a movie. I think a mini-series or cable show would be a much better choice. You could do a movie as well.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Saw 'The Mikado' by chance one night and was hooked. The high production values (i.e money well spent rather than lots and lots and lots of money badly spent), plus the considerable 'star power' of Lance Henriksen convinced me to keep watching past the first few seconds. He was a very wise choice of actor.

Guest michjoto

I have to say that I agree with most of the above. When I first saw episode one, the Pilot, I realized that this was show that was going to make a statement that most of our civilization does not want to hear. I wondered how long it was going to stay on the air and I intended to savor every minute of it as if it was the last. Amazingly it lasted a full 3 years. So the story went, it was the influence of CC's power at Fox (by virtue of the success of Xfiles) at the time that kept it running.

Those of us who enjoy this show must share some powerful underlying insights as to what makes the world go round. We all must see the dark underbelly of humanity and the way it seeps into our lives. I think we all must also recognize the self-deceit and denial that the human race perpetrates on itself to keep it all hidden. It is all about the true nature of evil and how it instigates the demise of human dignity. But the truly greatest perspective of Millennium is the character of Frank Black who sees the horrors but understands that even those who commit the atrocities are but themselves victims as well. :ouro::ouro::ouro: