Wanna talk about your weather?

I figured this was one way to keep up with everyone, especially considering all the, not just odd, but violent weather and disasters we are having everywhere.

Oklahoma finally had a one day break from triple digits with rain yesterday. In some places it rained so hard they got flooded. There were a few places that didn't get any rain, and I am so thankful here in the Oklahoma City metro that we did get a nice amount. Unfortunately we are back to triple digits again today and for the rest of the week.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still hot and very humid here in Oklahoma. The manager of my apartment complex finally fixed my air conditioner, it wasn't blowing cool air. Had to buy a water cooler.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Earlier in the spring here in the UK, some of the forecasts predicted a long hot summer. But on the occasions that we've had that kind of weather, we've had no experience or knowledge of how to deal with it.

But we still don't learn. My daughter was born in the spring of 1976, to the accompaniment of an unexpected heatwave and thunderstorms. We had very little rain for the remainder of that summer, some four months.

In 1986, ten years later, a new block was opened at our local hospital, to which most of the wards were transferred. But the architects saw no reason to incorporate air-conditioning, so every hot summer since, patients have sweltered.

Currently we've gone back into the standard British summer of alternating bands of sunshine and rain. But when we remodelled our garden earlier this year we incorporated a water butt to conserve rainwater should the weather change again. We love our flowers, but topping up our fishpond has priority.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Elders (Admins)

As it's turned out, the rainwater collected in our water butt has proved to be more useful than I'd previously thought or anticipated.

Late last night, I had retired to bed and had settled down with my trusty iPod only to find it had run out of charge. So I went downstairs to my den (which is at the front of the house) to get the charger; which was plugged into an extension strip which was on the floor. I heard a hissing sound, which I immediately attributed to my computer, etc, on the desk above. I carefully went through the routine of seperately switching off each electrical socket to identify which bit of electrical equipment was misbehaving, with no result. I then had the thought that the noise was coming from the cellar underneath. On opening the door to the cellar, the noise was much louder...

So I didn't do the brave thing - instead I dragged my husband away from the sports channel on TV and got him to listen at the open cellar door. That wasn't particularly helpful as we both have mild tinnitus so identifying sounds clearly can be problematic. But we both gingerly went down the stairs and discovered the culprit. The main water pipe had sprung a leak and the hissing sound was the escaping water. I recalled hearing a slight ping sound in the afternoon, and that probably was when it all started. We tried to turn off the stop tap, but that made no difference. By now it was around midnight.

We could have left it, as the cellar is more like a root cellar rather than a usable area, and we pay a flat rate for water rather than our usage being metered, and anyway we've had plenty of rain here lately. But potable water is a precious commodity and shouldn't be left to just drain away back into the ground to end up being filtered and treated a second time. So we called our water supplier who sent someone round within the half-hour. He also couldn't turn off our stop tap, so the next recourse was the company stop tap in the pavement. He couldn't turn that off either. He called for the maintenance team. In the meantime, we did as advised and filled up every container we could find with whatever water was still getting through the kitchen tap until the supply dwindled as the leak got worse.

And I also phoned our daughter, who was due to visit today, to suggest she check with us first before leaving home some 60 miles away to arrive at around 10 a.m. in case we had to cancel. I'd assume my call would go through to voicemail which she'd pick up in the morning, but she answered. I was a bit flustered - who'd want to get a call from their mother around 1 a.m. - so I focussed on her getting the message that it was an advisory rather than emergency. (She subsequently told me that she was accustomed to getting phone calls at strange times from work, had arrowed in on the "it's not an emergency", and went back to sleep. Bless.)

The maintenance team arrived about an hour later, despite being summoned out of their beds and driving some distance to get to us. Complete with generator for lighting, and what looked like a circular saw for cutting through the tarmac. They then had to dig down to get to the company stop tap and replace that and then finally they could turn off the water supply. The noise of their equipment did come to the attention of some neighbours, but they're all nice people, and from chatting with some of them today they all guessed what the problem was, and are sympathetic.

Eventually, the work was done, even though one of the maintenance guys, despite his best efforts, couldn't sort out the problem with the water pipe in the cellar. So, we're relying on the water we managed to conserve for personal ablutions and dish-washing, bottled water for drinking and cooking, and the water from the outside water butt for the toilets.

By the time the situation was sorted out, as best it could be, it was 4 a.m. The sky was lightening in the east, so my husband and I experienced the dawn together.

But, oh my goodness, the tiredness. Goodness only knows when last I was awake at that time of the morning (probably in my teens). I ended up, as I guessed I would, falling asleep this afternoon, only to wake up feeling grungy and aiming to have a shower, except.... We've already contacted our lovely plumber who will be here first thing tomorrow morning.

None of this was an emergency as such, but we all do need to be careful about our use of water. It's not always there at our command.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Wow Libby, what a story. Glad to hear you finally got some rest. I can remember after experiencing nights like that where I was up all night, the following day I'd walk around like a zonbie, numb and oblivious to everything.

Still hot here in Okie City, but we did get some rain the other day. Basically I don't leave the apartment unless I have to.

By the way, my second to the oldest son was born on Feb. 19, 1976. Exactly what day was your daughter born?

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

By the way, my second to the oldest son was born on Feb. 19, 1976. Exactly what day was your daughter born?

My daughter was born late in the evening on 30 April, which was a Friday. Then the next day, her father's favourite team won the Football (soccer) Association Cup final almost against all the odds. So he was a happy man twice in two days. :biggrin:

It's hot here. Will be till October. This is also the lightning capital and it's hurricane season,so it's never boring.

Lightning capital and hurricane season - oh my.:ohmy: Much as I like "interesting" weather, I don't like I'd like your version of "never boring".

Libby

All of the US is dealing with extreme weather conditions. Here in Oklahoma we have record breaking triple digit temperatures that we have not seen since the 30s, during the dust bowl. The entire middle section is being hit hard with high degrees and little rain. It's literally from Southern Texas to the Great Lakes. Not good.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)