Microwave Mike

Rate this topic

Guest notbadforahuman

Guest notbadforahuman

Perhaps it is just me, but every time that Frank and Peter's friend Mike comes onscreen, I just get a tad bit irritated. He didn't do anything wrong per say, but the way he speaks and just his overall demeanor rubs me the wrong way.

This is the guy from Gehenna and Powers, Principalities, Thrones, and Dominions with the white hair. I call him Microwave Mike due to the fact that he caught some rays in the industrial microwave in Gehenna. It is mean, I know.

Sorry for the mean-spirited topic, I just wanted to know if anyone else felt the same way... or if I was just being a total jerk. :confused:

Guest Mikal C Johnson  KtCym ECA

There is something off-putting about him. I know what you're saying.

Some if his lines seemed a little forced, but then again, he presented as being a group member with a lot of information at his fingertips, after his statement about the pyramids of Giza and other things. He does not have that low key, but adept presentation that Peter Watts often used. Maybe if Mike stuck around into season 2 he may have fit into the show better. It seems like a lot of actors and characters were utilized on a short term basis in the beginning of season 1, probably to see what worked while they were finding their "Legs.". I thought Jim Penseyres seemed ominous at times and would have made a good Millennium group member in season 2 as well. I think it is safe to say they found and kept the gem known as Terry O'Quinn!

:rock2:

Guest notbadforahuman

Very true, IHaveGoodInstincts.

I did like it that Microwave Mike seemed to be a person that Frank trusted inherently as Frank asked for MM's input regarding the polaroids. It was nice to know that he had someone solid from his past that he trusted so much. I definitely got the feeling that Mike was one of those people that oftentimes was the awkward one in any group setting. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was a debbie downer, but perhaps a wet blanket. I am not denying his skills, professionalism, or ability to assist on cases, but that is just what I gathered upon an initial, superficial glance. :doh:

If I could have had anyone stick around for more seasons, I definitely wish that Bletch would have survived. Stinks, but what can you do?

He always appeared to me as very troubled all the time, or maybe just always overly serious, not sure. :confused:

Everyone that Frank trusted got killed, starting with Lt. Bob Bletcher, The Old Man, Catherine, Lara Means, and possibly Cheryl Andrew, with the exception of Special Agent Emma Hollis, who he did trust, but becoming a member of the group could have changed that.

The character that always ruffled my feathers was Assistant Director Andy McClaren. I always wanted to punch his running lights out. :whistling:

I can see where they wrote in Andy's retirement for the character, because Steven E. Miller played the part so intensely it seemed like he was going to have a stroke several times! It was tense at times, but I would not consider it overplayed. It was real enought to be annoying for the right reasons.

:rock2:

• 11 months later...
Guest I Made This

Aww, poor Mike, I didn't mind Mike Atkins, although I'm guessing the writers felt the same way as everyone else here does considering the treatment he got. Microwaved in Gehenna and stabbed to death in Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions. All I know for certain is that anytime I watch these episodes again I'm going to have the term Microwave Mike in my head.

Guest I Made This

I thought I had "Microwave Mike" out of my head, but now it's back. Yeesh. ick.gif

Yikes, sorry for putting it back there. laugh.gif