By The Numbers: 5

Rate this topic

Guest Snapper

Pick your favorite  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They're all subpar compared to other episodes of their respective seasons, but I'll go with "The Judge". I thought that "A Single Blade Of Grass" was OK but muddled, and "...Thirteen Years Later" was complete dross.

• Elders (Admins)

This one's a no-brainer. The Judge all the way for me.

Single Blade wasn't my cup of tea at all and was more an episode of The X-Files than Millennium. Thirteen Years Later (or Frank Black does Time travel episode) failed and made me cringe at times. Some good parts with them watching the horror movie though!

.....with the exception M.O.T.C i really cannot tolerate Maher & Riendl at all. I don't even like them on a persona level, so to speak. they are a couple of whiners and very unprofessional.-(or at least they were.)

~se7en :ouro:

Well, since this was "Choose your favorite" and not "Which one is best MillenniuM episode", I had to go with "A Single Blade of Grass". The Judge is a lot creepier and more Millenniumsitic, but the Native American in me has to go with the first one.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

No surprise here in the voting. The Judge was one of the early ones that got me hooked and convinced me that I was watching something very special. Of course, I had already begun to realize that after the pilot. I also really enjoyed "A single Blade", but it comes in a distant second. I have to agree with what I have read about 13 years later. It was kind of a rare stinker on this series, but then again, it might have been a favorite for some viewers. One thing you have to give this show, in addition to all of it's other great attributes, is that it really did have some excellent variety, and other than a few episodes, such as 13 years, some incredible originality.

"A Single Blade of Grass" is a type of episodes which I hate in Millennium and in The X-Files. The whole idea of making totally "out of place" and "out of order" episodes is a waste of time and money. The episode doesn't bring anything to the main character. If the episode didn't exist, there would be nothing to be missed.

"The Judge" - interesting episode, but unfortunatelly it was spoiled. It was spoiled by being schematic and by "not being continued". The episode should have some kind a follower.

"... Thirteen Years Later" - episode I voted. I know that these three episodes are uncomparable. The first one is standalone, the second one builds a character, the third one is a humorous episode, which happened from time to time in Millennium ("Jose Chung's Doomsday Defence") and The X-Files ("Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'", "Humbug"). Such episodes must not be seen by newcomers. Those episodes are for true fans and can only be made when the show is grown enough. "... Thirteen Years Later" is something that has great script and acting. I like this episode. I like KiSS as well ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest TragicWhiteKnight

'A Single Blade Of Grass' - I choose you!

Excellent title and a fairly strong episode (even though it's got the reputation of a stinker). Very similar to 'Marantha' in tackling the Apocalyptic beliefs of another culture. The James Darren/Bobby Darin dialogue amused me; the heart attack was both unexpected and foreshadowed - and even the old 'capturing the hero' cliche worked since it was totally justified - he wasn't being killed as a threat but because he could save them. One of the most underrated episodes, I'd say.

I have no idea what the Judge was about. I guess it was unmemorable. I think it's the one with the Medieval torture implements, and if so, it just came off like a repeat of the pilot with much less style.

'Thirteen Years Later':

Flat. Totally flat. Still the best of S3 that I've seen so far, but totally blunt.

Most importantly, which Friday The 13th film was Frank Black watching? He talks about the mother of the drowned boy being the killer (from Part I), but Jason doesn't get the 'hockey-mask persona' until Part 3 when he steals it from Shelley. So unless Frank knows a lot more about slasher films than he let on, it doesn't make sense (and Friday The 13th Part 2's Amy Steel stars in none other than the aforemention 'ASBOG', coincidence? Yes, but, hey).

But this highlights the problem with the episode; Perrey doesn't show any love for horror films, simply stealing from them rather than paying homage.

A few of the comedic bits work: the actress hitting on Frank, the names appearing onscreen, the killer's voice getting deeper and more Franklike as he becomes more insane. But all the characters were totally pointless cliches (like Hollis) which is what sunk the whole thing.

• 1 year later...
Guest MrCox

This vote was a bit hard but I go with "The Judge". This episode is not perfect but at least it's quite creepy and the character of the judge is really interesting. After all this was the only episode where the name of evil "Legion", which every fan refers to, is mentioned. The subtext involving the "pure justice" is quite interesting but I think this episode lacks tempo and sometimes is quite boring. Oh and in this episode Cheryl Andrews is introduced, that's a definite plus!

"... Thirteen Years Later" is very funny indeed and I like this whole "Hollywood is a bunch of idiots" thing, although this episode was not the first story in this vein. The best thing about this comedy is the fact that it doesn't feature Frank Black at all! It's told from the perspective of a lunatic who THINKS he is Frank Black and this guy meets an actor who PLAYS Frank Black and comes to BELIEVE he's Frank Black, the same actor who is telling the story as Frank Black. (Confused? Take it with humour, it's just TV!) It's really funny although a bit flat, indeed. But this is an episode I can live with ... even with Kiss.

"A Single Blade Of Grass" is a real stinker, I think it's the lowest point of season 2. Not enough that it deals with prophecies of a foreign culture but incorporates them in a wrong way, it is the only time Frank himself becomes some kind of prophet. His gift is treated in a way that's inacceptable, this is the only occasion he really acts like a psychic and it just doesn't fit the character at all. Of all the scripts Maher and Reindl wrote for MM this is the worst (and two of the three others aren't much better). I just can't stand it at all as there are too many details that don't fit into the rest of the series. (And I'm an advocate of season 2!)

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
This vote was a bit hard but I go with "The Judge". This episode is not perfect but at least it's quite creepy and the character of the judge is really interesting. After all this was the only episode where the name of evil "Legion", which every fan refers to, is mentioned. The subtext involving the "pure justice" is quite interesting but I think this episode lacks tempo and sometimes is quite boring. Oh and in this episode Cheryl Andrews is introduced, that's a definite plus!

"... Thirteen Years Later" is very funny indeed and I like this whole "Hollywood is a bunch of idiots" thing, although this episode was not the first story in this vein. The best thing about this comedy is the fact that it doesn't feature Frank Black at all! It's told from the perspective of a lunatic who THINKS he is Frank Black and this guy meets an actor who PLAYS Frank Black and comes to BELIEVE he's Frank Black, the same actor who is telling the story as Frank Black. (Confused? Take it with humour, it's just TV!) It's really funny although a bit flat, indeed. But this is an episode I can live with ... even with Kiss.

"A Single Blade Of Grass" is a real stinker, I think it's the lowest point of season 2. Not enough that it deals with prophecies of a foreign culture but incorporates them in a wrong way, it is the only time Frank himself becomes some kind of prophet. His gift is treated in a way that's inacceptable, this is the only occasion he really acts like a psychic and it just doesn't fit the character at all. Of all the scripts Maher and Reindl wrote for MM this is the worst (and two of the three others aren't much better). I just can't stand it at all as there are too many details that don't fit into the rest of the series. (And I'm an advocate of season 2!)

Ditto! :yes: