Operation Smile

Libby

• Elders (Admins)

Just found this video of a lovely little girl whose life is transformed thanks to a fairly straightforward surgical procedure. It's wonderful when she sees herself for the first time afterwards.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pediatric surgion I had when I was eight retired from regular surgery and went on to do reconstructive surgerys for children in third world countrys so that they would have a better future. He has since retired from all surgery, and has changed how he helps- by baking! His holiday cakes have been such a hit in fundraising, that the center where he works out of has provided him workers and a new kitchen- the money raised supports a rehabilitation center for children with disabilitys.

It showes no matter how small of a donation- everything helps!

Helping kids (and adults) like this is one of the most awsome things people can do. This little girls eyes said it all- she smiled for the first time deep in her heart.

Wish we could help them all to smile.

Amen to wishing we could help them all to smile, and that any donation helps.

And look at the joy on the adult's faces. Oh my. I'm smiling too.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Kath - I've watched various documentaries over the years showing how people - surgeons, nurses, technicians - involve themselves in these kinds of projects. A couple of things: many of them get involved in fund-raising in all manner of ways, just as your paediatric surgeon does; and many of them travel to places where they don't have all the facilities they're used to but cope nevertheless, which demonstrates determination and flexibility. They really are heroes.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett