TV/Movies/Books - Likes/Dislikes?

Rate this topic

Libby

13 hours ago, Gotham Gal said:

Believe it or not, I don't like awards shows.  Too political.  too self-congratulatory.  I just like it when my own opinions on what's the best are confirmed (and they rarely are)! 

"Believe it or not, I don't like awards shows" either, and for the same reasons.  I'm sure your opinion is confirmed a lot more that you think, they just aren't always made public because politics has to be the Alpha.  That's why I like reading (consumer) people's reviews, like on IMDB, because I'm not reading reviews by "professional" critics.  

Even if they took away the politics, I'd not like awards shows.   I never have, even before .  It' s just not my thing.  I think it's great for those in the business, but my interest in shows are for entertainment.  Awards shows, ugh.   Expensive dresses,  who did who's makeup,    expensive freebies that the guests get that  we can't afford to buy,   pretty lame jokes,  I usually havent' seen the movies or heard the songs they are  talking about, etc....

I'm kind of a stick in the mud in that I don't like  following the celebrities. I don't like that on TV, I don't like football or sports, or reality TV,  I like fictional shows and fictional characters! LOL

I'm with you seesthru on most of what you said especially regarding the award shows.  WE don't care about them, and I don't follow celebrities either.  I do like looking at the dresses however, but I used to dress up too just not to that extreme.

I grew up in CA, worked for PBS, and met a ton of celebrities, in the studio and at functions.  I wasn't impressed with most of them, except for meeting Elvis, twice.  Most people are lucky to see him on stage, let alone meet him.  And what blew my mind is the second time I met him, he remember me from the first time at the studio (Hollywood & Vine), because it had an RCA recording studio in it, and he was there rehearsing for Vegas.  As a public relations employee of the studio, I had a key, so the custodian (friend) and I waited outside the studio door for him to come out.  :singin:

My other favorites are Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau.  They came to the studio together on the same night for a BBC interview.  They are warm, friendly, and hysterical on and off the screen.  So funny that the makeup people couldn't work because they were laughing so hard.  I and another couldn't stand and laugh at the same time, so we ended up on the floor.  Matthau licks the cheek of someone he likes, and yes, I got my cheek licked.  On the same night for BBC, I met Jerry Lewis, who was rude and disrespectful to me, and Kirk Douglas, who was just the opposite, even to the point of bowing.

As far as sports, all I watch is ice hockey and American Ninja Warrior.  Absolutely love them.  Used to like fights but not anymore.  I watch talent, singing, and dancing competitions, that's all. 

So basically, we are on the same page, but with just a few differences to make things interesting.  :tease: