Any scary stories?

Rate this topic

Libby

• Elders (Moderators)

Well, I really don't believe in ghosts, aliens, poltergeists, and whatnot, but I was thinking about starting this "scary stories" topic and was searching through another board where I know there are some hair-raising stories, when.... the lights went out. eyes.gif

Anyway, pending my actually finding what I was looking for (memo to self: that's what the Bookmark function is for), has anyone got any scary stories they've heard about, or extraordinary events they've experienced? Although I don't believe as such, I don't disbelieve - I do recognise that some people have a hightened sense of awareness and "see" things most of us don't. Which is why I didn't dismiss the ability of Frank Black as being "hokum" or "merely psychic". Science has a long way to go in understanding the phenomenon that a minority of people experience but, in the meantime, there is a value to scary stories - just like the myths and legends of the past, they remind us of what to be alert for.

Coming from someone who is very spiritual, and totally not only believes in the spiritual realm, but has had a lot of interaction with it, I can honestly say that there will be stories here or the eerie kind. The Word tells us that there are principalities and powers in the heavenlies, so there are different levels of the spirit realm, with the flesh being the lowest level, therefore allowing for the possiblility of interaction between the losest spirit level and the flesh. There are way too many stories out there to me to disbelieve. People can be receptive one day and not the next, I believe it just depends upon the condition of their spirit and what's going on in their emotional realm. Also how they think and their state of mind plays an important part.

I was spending the night at my in-laws in my husband's room, who was away serving his country, and heard a noise outside the bedroom window, and then saw a shadow. They lived up in the foothills of the San Fernando Valley, and had a high stockade fence and security system. I was terrified. I quietly got up, shaking, and went to my in-law's room, and my father-in-law grabbed his gun and went outside. He came back later laughing his head off saying that it was a cat and that the angle of the light and shadow made the cat look real big against my window. Well maybe he saw a cat, but that shadow didn't look like a cat to me. If it was, it was walking on its hind legs. It really did scare the bajeepers out of me. No ghost or goblin, just a cat. Ya right.

signlol.gif

Well, growing up in a spooky old farm house, I can tell a lot of ghost stories! ghost2.gif

Ok... I don't remember this, because I was just a 2 year old baby, but when my parents moved into this place, they went through that period of time where everything is still in boxes, there's hardly any furniture, and you can hear a mouse fart it's so quiet.

Well, one afternoon, one of them realized the keys were missing. They were a young couple, and only had one set of keys. It had everything. House key, and car keys both. Well, they searched the house upstairs and downstairs, but there weren't that many places for keys to hide. As I said, they had boxes in some places, but most of the rooms were empty. Finally, they gave up, and sank onto the couch. (one of the 2 pieces of furnature that were actually in the place) They were frustrated, and tired. Now they'd have to have new keys made for everything. The cars, the VW bus, and the house. WOW, that was gonna be a ton of money, and a pain in the ass.

*CHINK*

In the next room, they heard the unmistakable sound of keys, hitting the floor! They ran into the room, which was TOTALLY empty,.... and there they lay, in the very middle of the open room, as if they dropped from thin air......... Oooooooo ghost2.gif

uh, yeah, I have a bunch so I will do them in croniclogical order.

My brother (older) always said there were *somethings* you never do because you open up doorways that sometimes you can't close. Now, I know my brother, and he was not one to do speculations- so, it probably was from experiances he didnt want to talk about.

Anyway, in highschool we had a group that hung around and Wendy gets this bright idea (as her mom isn't there) to hold a sceance (sp) and the only one of us who had a relative that had died before we were born was Reid- and he only had her name. So, they get a candle and a bible (you can't be too careful) and we sat around in a circle at the table and began saying her one by one and Wendy *lead* it, and we closed our eyes and all of a sudden I see myself laying on a table with a set of lantrerns above me and I give out this wheezy horrified gasp and open my eyes up and everyone looks at me and all of them said "You didn't look like you" and I just started shaking like a leaf. I was ice cold- cold to the touch, cold as death, colder than I had ever been before- dispite the fact that it was over 97 degrees outside & really humid. and I just started babbling stuff about the woman, she had died in childbirth, she had worn glasses her favorite color, favorite flower- I had ticked off like 30 things and even with being outside I was still ice cold until we prayed some and it was like a gasp of cold air rushing out of me.

Swore off doing that!!

It would be years later that a college friend of mine would confide in me that she was having nightmares, all at the same time of year. (you think I would learn) so, I went to her home when her mom wasn't there and I got her reclined in a chair and we lit a candle and I explained the concept of being hypnotized and she agreed. Basicly you go down steps and there is a room with a door, you go through it and it can lead to a halway with more doors, and you open the one you feel is the best. She had the feeling that someone was watching her- prompting her to do things, and there would be times when the blinds in her room would totally just blow away from the window when the window wasn't open and there was no breese. So, I - hypnotized and regressed her on an interesting journey that spanned over 3 years. Each time she would call me and say she had a different part of the dream that repeated about the same time of the year.

Hers took her to --- germany!- she started speaking german, and I knew enough to tell her to speak in english, and her accent was pretty heavy, her voice didn't sound like her own... and she was this young boy who had followed her fathers footsteps into the army, and he remembered his father teaching him how to drive and he was pretty young and how his mother was shouting for the father to stop this nonsense... and She/ he began to cry because he missed his mother so much. I woke her, and she listened to the tape we had made, and she wiped her face, she said she wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't been for the tears. over the following months I hypnotized her a couple of times and the young man's story evolved to the things he did in the war- working in the deathcamps, selecting prisoners for experiments, I had her look in the mirror and see herself- and she was able to sketch out what she looked like and finally at the end of the war wandering out and seeing the park where he had walked in many times totally distroyed. She said he wandered to one of the craters, and sat down in it, pulled out a gun, and took his own life. We were able to do research on what she saw (took alot of digging) and it did happen, as she said, the people existed, but when it all started, she had no access to any of this information.

after that, her dreams stopped and she was more at peace with herself. She moved out of that house and is now living in an old victorian that she and her husband are refinishing- each time they start something in the house, things happen- but when it gets done, things are at peace.

Her husband was one of those non believers. at her request, I hipnotized him and his room at the foot of the steps was totally dark. no doors, just a dark room. So I had him imagin a tool that could cut through the dark wall, and... on the other side, was a light room. (now I had his intrest!) I had him go back up the steps and he found this beautiful garden with a pond and it was incredable to him. His wife said that he was totally analitical, ether things were, or not- but he was also highly creative.

coming full circle...

I was in the hospital for an operation. I had checked in at 5 am, and because it was surgery, I was not to get anything to eat or drink. (which was just a pain in the backside , but in the same light, they hadn't given me any drugs) So its 10 PM! because there had been so many accidents and it was a beautiful day and people were idiots on the road so I had to wait and they finally wheel me down to the waiting area and I am all alone and they have two lights on - one to the side of me three beds down, and one above the nurses desk. and I see- this light out of the corner of my eye. and I think, Ok, you are tired, and you got those eye mucas things that make glare happen. and I blink and its still there. so I turn and look at it, and its this - white light that is pretty tall. and I am thinking huh.. its the glair off of the IV pole- and I look at the pole and see that the whole pole is wrapped with white and red tape, that there isn't any area that glare can happen over, and Im like okay.. glare from the lights..and the other part of my brain is going... uh, your under florecent lights, its green in here and you are seeing white light. There was absolutly NO way the light was reflecting off of anything. I blinked, I moved, I sat up, I laid down, I closed one eye, then the other, it didnt go away.

I kept checking the time, and it stayed beside me for a good 20 min. I went from being- concerned about the whole thing to having a feeling that - it would be ok, and things would work out and that it wasn't - my - time. I looked at the clock again and I felt- in a way that it had to go. I looked back, and it was gone. I took a breath and laid back down and in a moment I could hear the click of heals down the hallway, and the nurse came to her desk and made an entry and then made a phone call and I over heard her say "Time of death 10:57 pm." She came over to me in a bit and said that it would be a few miniutes more before they could take me. and I just nodded.

About- 3 years ago, my uncle was having issues with a wound that didn't heal, and the dr's answer was to amputate, and they took the toe, then the foot, then the lower leg , then up to the knee, then above the knee and they had to take it up to the hip. Well, my uncle was ok with things until the last surgery and my mom and sister were there with him and he kept telling them that he didn't want to have it done. and the dr came in and said he had to have it because of the infection, and my uncle agreed, and all of a sudden he starts asking my mom and sis, "Why are there 5 nurses around my bed?" They looked at eachother and said 'there isn't any one else here-" he insisted, "Yes, they are here, and he counted as he pointed around my mom and sis. and he said they were all dressed in white. Well, the nurses there all were in blue scrubs, or the flowered ones, bright colors, and while he still didn't want to go and be operated on, he did and when he came back he was disorented and in alot of pain, and it was going on 1 am and mom hires a young man who worked at the hospital to stay with him while they got some sleep- and in an hour after they left he had died (though they wouldn' have left him if they would have known) the very curious thing was, my uncle was diabetic (the cause of the wound issue) Part of the diabeties was that it had made him totally blind. - so- as I asked my mom-- "How could he have seen anything else but Angels?"

People - wonder why I am - so - woeful. (being born on wend I am full of woe, and being irish, we are a mournful lot as well as a november birthday) I am- sensitive- to death. I have this thing, and it's weird but if someone i know is going to die even if I am not aware of the illness, I can't sleep. I wake up and the closer it gets to the time of death the more I don't sleep. I - feel - things. I think its called empathy. I had a day off and my husband and I were to do the errands together, but I begged off, and in the middle of him being gone I had this- feeling of profound grief. I couldnt stop sobbing,and when I did, I got changed and drove out and met him and I just - clung to him. I would find out 3 days later that at that time was when my girlfriends mother and brothers had made the decision to take my friend off of life support. It wasn't the first time that this had happened, and I know it won't be the last.

I can- hold things and know - things about it. Not that I can do it every time- I found this bracelette at a garage sale and I purchased it- and it was broken, but it was actually pure silver with turquise, and I thought, I can make 2 rings from this, and I did- but every time i wore one of the rings with out the other it was the worst day of my life. I found out later that the bracelet had been made on a reservation, and when I had filed down an area I had removed one of the "guardian" symbols. I left the rings in my jewlery box and when my parents house was robbed, the person took the rings...

It proved to be a bad mistake for him... Of all the houses to rob he took checks from my uncles account and at the time my brother was district manager of the institution the checks were from. Under normal cercumstances if your checks are stolen and they are reported, the banks will take steps to protect your account, but not apprehend the guy. The police don't get involved, and the insurance company just covers it. Well, my brother flagged the account and was told it wouldnt take effect until monday. They guy worked fast, wrote out a pretty hefty check and tried to cash it. The credit union told him with out an account he couldnt cash it, and he said his father had an account and he would get a letter, and they told him to come back on monday... by then the bank had recived notification that the check was stolen , and had the police waiting there to capture him. They nailed him for 18 robberys and it will be a very long time before he gets out. No, I never did get the rings back,. but- in a way, I think they will find their own home some where.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Elders (Moderators)

I've found the threads on that other board I mentioned in my opening post. I've c&p them into Word - 138 pages! So that will take some time going through.

As I've said before, I don't disbelieve, though I am more Scully than Mulder, or more Catherine than Frank.

Anyway, I've extracted this particular story:

One person wrote:

A work colleague lived in a spooky house and told us loads of the goings on.
When his son was a baby, they could hear him crying through the baby monitor. Before they had a chance to react, they could hear a woman's voice going shhh shhh shhh then singing a lullaby.
When they got upstairs, he would be asleep.
This happened regularly.

Another person responded:

We used to have that with our baby monitor. The "ghost" lived about two streets away, and that baby ended up in the same class as our child as well as having matching baby monitors…

The first person then said:

They thought of that, but they lived in a small village that was lived in mainly by retired people. There were no other babies for miles, and definitely no monitors!

That made me think, and hence why I started this topic. Could there have been a scientific explanation? Or are our human brains way more complicated than we know?

Ive about an hour before I have to get ready for work (got called in early) so I will post what I can about my co workers experiance.

FIrst, my coworker comes from a shattered home- her dad left them and didnt do anything to support them and the mother took up being a tarot card reader for a living. Every time as a child, that my co worker would see something, or hear something her family wouldn't believe it, and she grew up with a lot of issues. when she turned 16, her father finally came up with the back child support and instead of using it on her daughter, the mother kept it and tossed her out on her own. She bounced around in a series of bad relationships and the last guy that she was living with, she supported while he went through law school, it pretty much ate up her savings, and she ended putting everything she could on credit cards she couldn't pay off. he took to beating her and other forms of abuse and she finally was able to escape to her grandmothers place where she lived in the basement - her grandmother wa another piece of work who used to lock her in the basement for a few days if she tried to discuss getting a drivers licence, or going to a bridal shower-- things that would be something that would enrich her life. She was able to make connections with a person who was willing to split the rent and utilitys of a house, but after 2 months she found out that the girl was making her pay for pretty much everything while running a series of gentlemen friends (flavor of the week) through the door. her roommate had several dogs, and cats, and the house was infested with fleas.

She managed to find a new place to stay- and get moved in last sunday. The first night she slept in the livingroom, the second night, she pulled her matress into the dining room - trying to find some place that felt right for a place to sleep in (feng shui?) it did have a bedroom, but every time she put a light bulb in, it would blow out. She was able to get her furnature from her grand mothers place, and moved it in, and decided on the bedroom to sleep in when things began to happen.

At first she felt a bump against her, and as she is rationalizing what it could be, she began to hear tapping outside on the balcony. she had a hunch that it was a ghost, and just said out loud, "Look, it's late, I can't deal with this right now."

and it stopped.

the next night, at the same time, she felt pressure, like hands, or something that weighted about 10-15 pounds pressing on her legs, that woke her, and then she got the impression something had sat down (curled up) beside her. She rolled over and fel the eyes following her/ watching her.

When she came into work, she told me, saying that of all of the people she knew, she knew I would understand and know what to do.

so I texted Sta, and asked her and she suggested making a list of steps, rules, for the ghost to follow.

And, its odd because she really wants to do this, to be in control, but the moment she steps into the house the resolution faulters.

more later

Without taking a long time and writing a lot, I will reply with as few words as possible.

There are what we call, "Earth-bound Spirits," caught between the flesh, the lowest level of existence, and the lowest level of the spirit realm. They usually have unfinished business with the living, and once it is resolved, they usually cross over into the light, but sad to say, not all the time, because some choose to stay. Often at first, they don't even know what the business is. There are people with the ability to communicate with them in one form or another, and to resolve why they are still bound here. Also, often it's someone who has recently passed, and since your friend just moved into this new place, it could very well be someone associated with the previous tenant and not her. Naturally, I'm not sure, it's just one possibility . I suggest she seek out someone with the ability and find out what the spirit(s) is/are trying to communicate to her. She needs to try and find out what it has to say. It's rarely a bad thing, and as an added note, rules don't normally work without direct communication.

I understand the operation of the spirit realm, I just don't have, or haven't developed, an ability to communicate with them.

My heart and prayers go out to her for peace and guidance.

• Elders (Moderators)

Kath - as I've already said, I don't believe in ghosts or whatever, but I certainly don't disbelieve people's reportings of strange phenonema, especially when they're scary. Your colleague has gone through horrendous experiences and who knows whether her recent experiences are a result of that. I was particularly struck by her trying to find a safe place to sleep. We are at our most vulnerable when asleep, and given her experience of abuse (which includes emotional and financial abuse), I wouldn't find it at all surprising that just at the point where she's moved into a place of her own, i.e. freedom to live her own life, that she's experiencing strange effects.

I've read on another forum about how much people (usually women) have experienced a life-time of abuse as children and then go on to be involved with adult relationships with abusers - because that's all they know - and then make that painful journey to break free and become who they really are.

What I've learned from that is - do whatever it takes. Exorcism, or feng shui, or scented candles, or blessings, or redecorating, or her making her own choices rather that what she thinks she's supposed to do.

There's a difference between "power" and "empowerment" - if you can support her through the latter, she'll eventually get to the former, where she is in control of her own life. And it really doesn't matter how that happens, just that she gets there.

I should know more tomorrow- we are working together and she had a day off to deal with things. When I mentioned Sta suggesting rules, it was because that had worked for her- she had issues with the spirits in her house until she flat out started treating them like a parent would- setting guidelines and rules, Sta said, for the most part , they are just so happy that some one is listening to them, and is willing to try and communicate with them- I think, once she settles in, or if the ghost really starts bugging her, that she will figure out what to do. Well, its late and I have a long day tomorrow. will update when I can.

Kath