Libby

The Miscellaneous Thread

675 posts in this topic

I'm sure that some time ago I started a thread for just posting random, unrelated, but interesting things - but darned if I can find that now.

Anyway, I'm starting this thread (and bookmarking it so I can add other, completely random, stuff), so it's a kind of shoutbox extension.

This is an animal rescue with a difference. There's this guy who goes out fishing on his kayak, complete with a camera because he likes to share. One day, something unexpected happened. Here's the video:

He subsequently updated his youtube account with the explanation: http://www.abcaction...ccording-to-fhp - so the dog fled from an horrific experience and just by happenstance managed to find just the right person.

The whole story is really tragic. The dog and his owner were out walking, and his owner was hit and killed by a drunk driver. The dog took off and apparently was a mile out to sea when he saw the kayaker and swam towards him. I think that many animals do have a sense of who they can trust even after they've been injured/traumatised as this dog must have been.

This thread really isn't about animals, but I've found another video of human/dog interaction, which is really lovely:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bltmic#p/u/2/jCnAjel02lM

I'd bet there are loads of human parents out there who'd love to hire him to sing their children to sleep.

I will never forget this rescue in Oklahoma by a news helicopter pilot. Proud to post it.

Here's another touching rescue.

Tom Satre told the Sitka Gazette that he was out with a charter group on his 62-foot fishing vessel when four juvenile black-tailed deer swam directly toward his boat.

"Once the deer reached the boat, the four began to circle the boat, looking directly at us. We could tell right away that the young bucks were distressed.

I opened up my back gate and we helped the typically skittish and absolutely wild animals onto the boat. In all my years fishing, I've never seen anything quite like it!

Once onboard, they collapsed with exhaustion, shivering."

Earthnut: I've seen that deer-on-ice rescue before. I think that video went all around the planet! But what's struck me on watching it again, is that helicopter pilots are trained to be aware of the problem of downdraught, whereas that pilot did some very fast re-thinking and realised that the downdraught was the solution.

The other deer rescue was equally wonderful as another example of how animals seek out those who will help them when in dire need.

You're very justified in being proud of your fellow citizens.

But, on a lighter note, should planet Earth be taken over by robots, our best defence will be (dun, dun, DUN!!!) - cats. Evidence here:

The Old Man likes this

There's a safari park not that far from where I live. In particular, the lions live in a huge enclosure and the visitors drive through in their cars (i.e. cages).

There have been recent reports in the UK (yet again) of wild animal sightings. These are not wild animals normally to be found here, but a recurrence of exotic animals that were imported as status symbols and then let loose when they became too troublesome to cope with. The kill pattern on small deer have been assessed by experts as those of a large wildcat, possibly a puma. I think there's a long history in the UK of some people not understanding that "dominion" actually means "responsibility".

it is a huge problem here in the USA; including deadly snakes and lizzards and even Piranha [in Florida]. also lions and tigers and bears OH MY !