The Miscellaneous Thread

Oh, I know, Randee. Some while ago, I bought a walking stick, just in case. But when I went out yesterday I took one of my husband's umbrellas which is kind of like a walking stick. I found that quite useful because I do occasionally have very mild balance problems - the slightest hint of a cold not only affects my sinuses but also goes straight to my Eustachian tubes. Many years ago, when those problems first started, I was a frequent visitor at my GP practice. I remember on one occasion meeting with a GP trainee - a young, fit, probably rugby-playing young man - and I described the symptoms as like being drunk without the benefit of alcohol. He appeared to be momentarily stunned while processing the concept that inability to walk a straight line might not actually be beer related. laugh.gif

I think I might take my new walking stick out on a test run tomorrow. My favourite poem is Jenny Joseph's https://www.poemhunte...m/poem/warning/. I think it would be good to get in some practice.

For the avoidance of doubt: When I say "one of my husband's umbrellas", I mean one of the various umbrellas owned by my husband, as opposed to an umbrella owned by various husbands. And there is yet another transpondian difference in terms of "momentarily": UK - briefly, US: soon. Allegedly, there has been consternation among British travellers on US airlines at the cabin crew announcement of "this aircraft will take off momentarily". wiggle.gif

Hey... I know all too well that uncomfortable feeling of "drunk without being drunk". I get that when I'm NOT sick, OR drunk! LOL Oo.gif I think it's some kind of brain thing with me. I can't suddenly look UP like at a bird or something, without almost falling over! LOL My collection of canes are quite helpful! No shame in that!

Speaking of "Bucksnort", I guess you could call these my "Old Lady walking sicks"! oops.gif

• Elders (Admins)

As I mentioned over on the "Improving the Board Layout" topic, I don't recall ever posting here the link to my website showing the building work and new kitchen we had done. That was back in 2010 and we've (mostly) got used to where things are now. As a brief explanation as to why the house seems a bit odd: that's the way houses in this area were built way back then. In our road, there are houses that would be described as "terraced houses" in that they're built as a long run of properties, but they have very different styles probably because they were built by different builders. And then there are shorter two or four terraced houses. And then some single houses. Not only was our house probably built piecemeal, but probably the whole street was.

Here's the link (and I apologise if it takes some while to load - I never did get the hang of resizing the images):

https://www.chelonium...en/kitchen.html

• Elders (Admins)

Oh dear ...

post-118-0-71190600-1337426027_thumb.jpg

A hanger at the Eglin Air Force base in Florida was accidentally filled with foam after a spark from a welding set triggered the fire suppression system.

• Like 1