The Miscellaneous Thread

• Elders (Admins)

I am getting concerned about the extremes of weather that seem to be happening around the world these days. I have read up quite a bit on the science of weather and of climate, but the more I learn, the more I realise it's a very complex subject (and, therefore, the less I actually understand). On the other hand, it could just be that I don't tolerate extreme weather (or what passes for extreme weather here) as well as I used to.

And that's not a getting-old phenomenon, it's realising how vulnerable we could be in the UK if we get a long and cold winter. Only yesterday, I mentioned to John that we'd be vulnerable if there were lasting power cuts this winter, because our gas central heating boiler needs electricity for the control panel, and our stove is electrical. We need to get our chimneys swept and checked, so if the worst happens we could at least use our small stock of wood to light a fire to keep warm and boil some water for a hot drink.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

always good to have an alternative heat source and ability to heat water . More and more people in the mid-west are getting generators [ propane] and wood burning stoves ' just in case ' . There are also stoves that burn a corn pellet because we have such a surplus of corn , much of which is not suitable for human consumption .

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

• Elders (Admins)

I can't remember when exactly I got online - sometime in the mid 1990s. All I can say is that nostalgia ain't what it used to be.wink.gif

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Elders (Admins)

So, comet Ison. The "comet of the century". But apparently it's broken up. sad.gif

Interestingly, or not, almost all comets have two tails. So the two-tailed comet in "The Beginning and the End" wasn't unusual in the cosmic sense, only in terms of human understanding or what is visible.

(One tail is debris particles, and the other is ions.)

Libby

• 4 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Cats. I'm definitely a cat person. But they seem to have the kind of "logic" that inhabits computer software (or maybe senior management).

I mean, you can think you've got it all sorted:

post-118-0-30177200-1387914003_thumb.jpg

But cats (and the above) have a different kind of thinking:

post-118-0-96554300-1387914120_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Libby