The Miscellaneous Thread

• Elders (Admins)

Here's an image of one of those strange natural phenomena. It's coastal fog, but looks just like a staged shot for a movie.

post-118-0-38441500-1328733572_thumb.jpg

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Awesome pic. I can only assume it could happen anywhere there's a large body of water.

Reminded me of a few pictures I have that are unusual. Here's a few of them. The first is an iceberg above and under the water.

post-3933-0-15558700-1328813111_thumb.jp

This one is at Madeira, Islands of Desertas

post-3933-0-74619000-1328813684_thumb.jp

This next one was taken in France.

post-3933-0-60517000-1328813854_thumb.jp

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Interesting question, Walkabout. I think Earthnut is probably right, in that there could well be similar effects as the Great Lakes are so very large. Those kinds of weather conditions are mostly about the different heating/cooling of the land versus the sea, but I doubt if there's much difference between ocean and fresh water areas. The Great Lakes are known to have effects in terms of the amount of snow that gets dumped on the land as cold weather passes over them from Canada.

Here's another phenomenon, somewhat related to icebergs in that a seemingly small thing can have consequences for the unwary. It's a clip of what looks like a very small collapse from the front of a glacier. What's interesting to note is that the people in the kayaks, who had been previously happily paddling away from the glacier, turned their kayaks around and paddled towards the resulting waves - which is the correct thing to do to avoid being capsized, but not easy when instincts would be shouting "run away".

On a slightly different note, here are some pictures taken by people on the International Space Station. The one that fascinates me the most is the Mississippi River.

https://www.lovethese...views-of-earth/

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett