The Miscellaneous Thread

I think it's not so much that people don't know how to care and respect the creatures and our world, as it is so many people just don't care. Most of the population these days are all into self, "I, Me, Mine."

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I've noticed a change in attitudes in the UK. It used to be: This is a public space, it belongs to everyone, I should respect it. But now it seems: This is a public space, I'm a member of the public, so it belongs to me and I can do what I want. That often means littering, or racist graffiti. It's almost as though there's a disconnect between people and society.

Thinking back to the 1960s, that was the start of massive changes in attitudes. Most of them were long-overdue changes in terms of respecting individuals and challenging all those negative "isms", but, these days, it seems there's too much "me" and not enough "we".

• Like 2

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Your absolutely right Libby, but like so often, we are a product of the world we live in. Everyones lying (politicians, etc.).

Everyones looking how to get more profit or more personal advantage. This world more and more becomes a "survival of the fittest" planet, or more like a "survival of the trickiest"... Its of course not that bad yet as it sounds right now, but were on a good way.

E.g. you work 20 years in a firm and you give yourself up for them, but in the end they throw you on the street just like some other guy who just worked what he was supposed to do and not a single handmove more. They give up on you. Doesnt matter how much you worked. Your expendable. Everyone is. In every section of life, not just the business world. And people feel that, and the way they behave is there way of reacting. Sad but true.

I dont say it was better in the old days, but people had much more respect for their surrounding, for nature and other people as they have today.

I dont say that im better, either. I think im very self serving as well, but i try to do my best to care also about other people, but i could never be a do-gooder like many people are, who spend their freetime and help olders, special-people, or work for charitable organisations. Im just trying to be honest, i dont have the patience to work for such organisations, as well as i could never be a teacher... On the other hand i would give myself up for people i love.

I say, i have a small heart where only a few people are able to get in, what makes it quite difficult, but once someone is in my heart, he/she never gets out again smile.gif

Im sorry, this was just planned to be a simple reply to Libbys toppic and now turned into some psychological self reflexion teehee.gif

• Like 1

y4m5qxc8.jpg This is who i am

I've noticed a change in attitudes in the UK. It used to be: This is a public space, it belongs to everyone, I should respect it. But now it seems: This is a public space, I'm a member of the public, so it belongs to me and I can do what I want. That often means littering, or racist graffiti. It's almost as though there's a disconnect between people and society.

Thinking back to the 1960s, that was the start of massive changes in attitudes. Most of them were long-overdue changes in terms of respecting individuals and challenging all those negative "isms", but, these days, it seems there's too much "me" and not enough "we".

Thats so true...sadly.

post-6893-0-81113500-1377438190_thumb.jp expect the unexpected

Your absolutely right Libby, but like so often, we are a product of the world we live in. Everyones lying (politicians, etc.).

Everyones looking how to get more profit or more personal advantage. This world more and more becomes a "survival of the fittest" planet, or more like a "survival of the trickiest"... Its of course not that bad yet as it sounds right now, but were on a good way.

E.g. you work 20 years in a firm and you give yourself up for them, but in the end they throw you on the street just like some other guy who just worked what he was supposed to do and not a single handmove more. They give up on you. Doesnt matter how much you worked. Your expendable. Everyone is. In every section of life, not just the business world. And people feel that, and the way they behave is there way of reacting. Sad but true.

I dont say it was better in the old days, but people had much more respect for their surrounding, for nature and other people as they have today.

I dont say that im better, either. I think im very self serving as well, but i try to do my best to care also about other people, but i could never be a do-gooder like many people are, who spend their freetime and help olders, special-people, or work for charitable organisations. Im just trying to be honest, i dont have the patience to work for such organisations, as well as i could never be a teacher... On the other hand i would give myself up for people i love.

I say, i have a small heart where only a few people are able to get in, what makes it quite difficult, but once someone is in my heart, he/she never gets out again smile.gif

Im sorry, this was just planned to be a simple reply to Libbys toppic and now turned into some psychological self reflexion teehee.gif

True words william, honestly thumbsup.gif

post-6893-0-81113500-1377438190_thumb.jp expect the unexpected

• Elders (Admins)

Going off at a tangent (but will come back to the discussion soon) - but could I just point out that we're a little island here, and mostly our frequent conversations about the weather are of little significance. But there's a huge system coming up from France. Here are some screengrabs:

Rainfall:

post-118-0-13165900-1405711975_thumb.png

Lightning:

post-118-0-63816000-1405712022_thumb.png

There's a good possibility that the storm system won't go due north, but will swirl anticlockwise and pass right over where I live.

It's getting darker, and the birds have gone quiet. Time to either batten down the hatches, or pour another glass of wine.

(But: we don't usually get severe weather here, unlike other places, so it's kind of a good reminder of what other people go through.)

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

I would batten down the hatchers AND pour another glass of wine.

I have some friends who live in Poole Dorset. Are they in danger?

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

The storm actually moved to the east, but large areas of Kent and Essex are affected:

post-118-0-73014800-1405719654_thumb.png

Poole is to the west of me, so will have also escaped this weather. Which is good, because although Poole is somewhat protected by the harbour, it is nevertheless right on the coast, and often storms which move over the Channel can intensify.

Libby