The Miscellaneous Thread

• Elders (Admins)

model - I watched a documentary just last night about sinkholes in Florida. Very scary. Especially a young couple who'd invested all their money in their house, which was showing significant cracking, most probably due to a nearby sinkhole. They couldn't afford to pay even for investigations (ground radar), let alone any underpinning to support their house. And, of course, their insurance company didn't want to know.

We had something similar in the UK a long time ago. Not sinkholes, but where the long drought of 1976 had dried out the clay beds, resulting in subsidence, and cracks developing. The insurance companies didn't want to know, and it was very costly to have houses underpinned. People couldn't sell houses, and people didn't want to buy houses, in areas subject to subsidence. Eventually, the government put pressure on the insurance companies who paid up to get affected houses underpinned.

But that was really a one-off situation here. In Florida, as well as other areas, such issues have been known for a long time, so insurance companies should have incorporated that risk into their calculations. It was quite distressing to listen to people who couldn't do anything other than carry on living in their houses, listening to the sounds of their home falling apart, but couldn't financially do anything about it.

• Like 1

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Two more holes have been discovered in Siberia. This link has a video ~ Massive Sinkhole in Yamal, Russia ~

https://time.com/3051402/siberia-holes/

I'm thinking it's a space ship that landed, or either took off from underground. Okay, it's just a theory. Scientists are puzzled.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

I have a question!!!!! Serious one. Power of suggestion and "curses".

When I was a kid, about 10 or so, I read Jeanne Dixon's book. She is a psychic. I didn't know to leave that stuff alone back then. Anyway, this book gave personality profiles based on birthdays etc...

She claimed that people born on my day were akin to Judas Iscariot ( Crikey!) ,, but claimed Judas was misunderstood, taht he wanted Jesus to come into power and that is why he betrayed him, to force his hand. Okay I'm off track here...

She also said, people born on my day were prone to have health issues in their middle and old age, specifically digestive, back and foot issues. As I was only ten, I thought that was a fat load of hoo hoo..... but I am middle aged now, and I have back, gut and foot problems. Have had for a while. Power of suggestion? Did Ms Dixon influence my vulnerable and suggestive mind, thus cursing me to have health issues I may not otherwise have had? Can I heal myself by finding a suggestion stronger than that planted so many years ago? Is it coincidence? Or, did the wrong door get opened when I read that, and it become a curse? Have you all had similar experiences?

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

I don't believe it was the power of suggestion as you were only 10. Many people besides psychics believe your birth [time and date] leave you predisposed to certain traits both physically and personality wise. I find it amazing that I share many traits and likes / dislikes with other Pisces .

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

I dunno. The lady across the street has the same birthday as me, different year. March 2. I cannot STAND her! I see many traits in her that I hope are not in in myself. I don't see compassion or love in her at all! She's loud, mean spirited, vengeful, hateful, I don't know what all else, just not a pleasant person. I don't think she suffers from foot or back or belly trouble...I just can't stand her or the thought that because we have a birthday on the same day each year, that I could be anything like THAT!

All I know regarding the Jeanne Dixon thing, is that in my head, I feel like when I opened that book, I had such a negative response to what it said, as though I didn't believe a word of it, but it nags at me.

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

Seesthru, I'm with Walkabout, you were only 10. Now is when the power of suggestion can have influence. I believe if your work at it, you can reject the nag and it will leave. It's a choice, just as what we eat and drink is a choice, or like your neighbor, how we treat others. Our choices affect others, and ourselves, and why it is so important to do our best to make positive ones.

With all due respect to everyone's beliefs, may I reply regarding Judas from a spiritual perspective, about one of the most difficult theological questions one can ask, the betrayal.

Jesus knew at the Last Supper that one of the disciples would betray him. Whether Judas made the choice to betray him or had no choice is still questioned, but many believe that the Word clearly does tell us that betraying Jesus is why he was raised up, and that in reality, he was obedient to the Father when he betrayed Jesus, and fulfilling prophecy.

If I may quote a portion of Dr. Oakes ' reply to the question of Judas ~

The case that God will harden a person’s heart for his own reasons is put forcefully in Romans chapter nine. Here, Paul puts the following words in God’s mouth; “But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’ Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some
pottery for noble and some for common use?” (Romans 9:20,21). Perhaps even more striking is the statement in the same chapter, “What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” It does not, therefore depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. (Romans 9:14-18)
Just as with Pharaoh, I believe Judas was raised up for the very purpose of betraying Jesus. And think about it, if he was being obedient, that would have been so much harder to do then being obedient over doing something good for someone else.
And, my personal belief as to why Judas hung himself, it that he knew he was forgiven by God, but after betraying Jesus, he couldn't forgive himself. Something I'm sure we all have been through at one time or another in our lives. I know I have.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)