• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's a UK website that sells Health & Safety signs. They have a "funny safety signs" section. (http://www.safetysignsupplies.co.uk/search/funny-safety-signs/). I like this one:

For those who find "helpful" diagrams in manuals completely unhelpful:

Resurrecting this thread - because I couldn't think of a suitable title if I had made this a separate thread.   The UK National Environment Res

Posted Images

2016 was definitely a tough year, and here's hoping and praying that 2017 will be better.  We deserve it, right Walkabout?

Image result for no more shit images

• Like 2

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

yup, tired of swimming at the bottom !  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334437/Goodbye-Yellow-Brick-Road-eerie-abandoned-Land-Oz-theme-park-hidden-North-Carolina-mountain.html   The park opened on June 15, 1970 by Debbie Reynolds, accompanied by her then little-known daughter, Carrie Fisher.

• Like 1

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

My son shared the Willy Wonka video with me on FB.

According to Snopes.com, the number of notable people lost in 2016 was not above average.  Need to research this after I fix another computer problem.  Geeze, will it ever end?

Somewhere I posted a link to Wikipedia listing all the deaths in 2016.  Either that or I started a new thread. I just can't remember off hand.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Good video, Walkabout. I was especially sad to hear of Vera Rubin's death. She did a lot to show that women have always been effective in science, and her area of science is one of the most intellectually challenging.

Currently in the UK, there's a bit of a worry about the Queen. She's not well, and didn't go to church on Christmas Day nor this morning, which is something she rarely misses. She is 90 years old and has a cold; but if it's the cold virus that's been doing the rounds lately, it's a very nasty one, and lots of people much, much younger than her have been laid low by it. It's a bit difficult to know how her passing will be handled. The last reigning monarch, the Queen's father, died in 1952 and apparently the country basically closed down for a week.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Libby, I've been reading articles about the queen, and article about what would happen if she passed.  Good thing she's probably not seeing them.  They are saying Charles will be king, but I remember awhile back saying he couldn't because of marrying Camilla in 2005.  I hear there's a lot of constitutional controversy, and that the prince may even change his name if she passes.

Yes,  it is sad to hear of Vera Rubin's death.  Per Wiki ~ "She uncovered the discrepancy between the predicted angular motion of galaxies and the observed motion, by studying galactic rotation curves"  She found evidence that much of the universe is ‘dark matter,’ 25% of it dark matter, and the remaining 70% dark energy, forcing the the Cosmological Theorists to think again.   Many believe she should have been given the Nobel Prize.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

To start this 2017 I wanted to give U something special. This song is called "Volver" (1935) that means to return. I tried to translate it the best I could and also I took another translations from other pages to make it better. The bad thing is that of course when you have something written like poetry, you always lose something. And in Tango music, lyrics has been always very important. They even have a language called lunfardo...but that is another story....haha. They way is written is amazing...right in the heart..

Aaaaaannyway,  this song always got me...and for me Carlos Gardel was or better yet, IS out of this world...I've always called him the Martian haha. So, here is the lyrics and the song. Hope U enjoy them!!

To return (1935)
Lyrics by: Alfredo Lepera
    Music by: Carlos Gardel

I imagine the flickering
of the lights that in the distance
are marking my return.

They are the same ones that illuminated
with their pale reflections,
deep hours of pain.

And though I didn't want to return
you always return to your first love.

The tranquil street
where the echo said
yours is her life,
yours is her love.

Under the mocking gaze of the stars that,
with indifference, today see me return.

To return
With the withered forehead,
the snows of time
have silvered my temples.

To feel
that life is a puff of wind.
that twenty years is nothing,
that the feverish look,
wandering in the shadow,
looks for you and names you.
To live...
with the soul clutched
to a sweet memory
that I cry once again.

I am afraid of the encounter
with the past that returns
to confront my life.

I am afraid of the nights
that, filled with memories,
shackle my dreams.

But the traveler that flees
sooner or later stops his walking.

And although the oblivion, who destroys all,
has killed my old illusion.
I keep concealed a humble hope
that is my heart's whole fortune.

To return
With the withered forehead,
the snows of time
have silvered my temples.

To feel
that life is a puff of wind.
that twenty years is nothing,
that the feverish look,
wandering in the shadow,
looks for you and names you.
To live...
with the soul clutched
to a sweet memory
that I cry once again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines