"The Mikado" Today

Rate this topic

Earthnut

With all the new technology we now have, and after discussing this excellent episode in another thread, I got to thinking. If the episode was remade today, how different would it be with all the new modern gadgets, ipads, pods, kindles, apps, etc., etc.? Obviously there would be more people watching so the numbers would rise faster. The killer would have to raise the numbers, or would he? Would his killings be done differently? Would Gilbert and Sullivan's opera be used, and if not, then who and what would you suggest? Would Frank be more overwhelmed with all the new technology making it even more difficult to use his abilities? Would you bring in someone else to help?

I know some of you will probably say leave it alone, it's perfect the way it is, and I agree with it's perfection. No doubt about it. But what if, no matter what we think, there was going to be an updated remake of this episode? What change(s) would you make, and of course, why?

Please, let Roedecker stay.

• Elders (Moderators)

I vaguely recall (unless it was a very bad dream) a case of someone broadcasting their suicide via webcam once enough people had voted yes.

I think the technology these days would make it very difficult to remake The Mikado. Back then, the internet was less complicated than these days, so it was easier for Michael Perry, Rod Pridy, and the rest of the crew to convey to the audience what was going on as compared to now. (That's easier in relative terms, because it was still a challenge for the special effects people; but they did do it better than most movies, and on a smaller budget.)

I have no idea what music could be used in a remake - I have had no idea what music would be recognised by a general audience for probably the last 20 years!

I know it's impossible to improve on perfection. I'm trying to modernize this episode, and it's so good I'm wondering if we can.

Maybe people with their ipod/pads, could write to the executioner with suggestions or just chat. Don't have anything but a simple cell phone so I have no idea how the fancy stuff works. Chatting with him would be a new twist.

• 1 month later...

I have a funny feeling that updating the episode with today's technology would change the plot significantly. There would probably have to be another communication medium that limits what one can see and hear, which is getting harder to do these days with improving technology. A writer can reproduce a spooky dude in a black robe with a specific musical taste, but to find that communication medium that keeps the viewer on the edge of the seat would be the real challenge of making the episode work well. I fear we would end up with something like the remake ot "The Prisoner." A fresh attempt, but falling short of the original, at least in my opinion.

rock2.gif