Naomi Watts takes Princess Diana role in new movie

The movie is titled, "Caught In Flight." Here's the link to the full story.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/naomi-watts-takes-princess-diana-role-movie-191002042.html

She has the accent, and is an excellent actor. I just need to see pictures of them side by side for look comparisons.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the link to the search page showing a picture of them side by side. Close, real close. They might actually pull this movie off. Wow, what a compliment for Naomi.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Actually since this subject [and conspirathy theories] have been beat to death in the media I'm surprised they are making another movie about the late Princess Diana.

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

• Elders (Admins)

I'm rather unsure about this movie. I think it could be well received world-wide but not so much here in the UK. There is a "glamour" about the Royal Family elsewhere, but generally here they're seen as "workers" whose job it is to represent the country locally (as well as overseas).

I'm also not sure what this movie will do for Naomi Watts' reputation. Obviously the first consideration in casting this kind of movie is how close the actor resembles the real-life person - and acting ability will come second. Sometimes that works well, as in Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher, but I think that Watts is chancing her career by appearing in what will likely be a B-movie.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

You got me to thinking Libby about how many video documentaries there are out there, and books, about Princess Diana. I believe people would rather have the real princess on a video then an actress, and it wouldn't matter who was playing the part. I also had the understanding that when they said Princess Diana was "The People's Princess," they first meant people in the UK, then people world-wide. I do have to agree that I really don't think this movie is going to do well, but here's hoping we're wrong. Maybe the very fact that it's about Princess Diana will bring it to the front.

Margaret Thatcher went over well because there hasn't been a flood of videos about her. Meryl Streep definitely earned the oscar for her performance.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I think that over here in the UK we've had an over-abundance of documentaries and drama-docs about Diana - but in some ways the whole story was a bit like, say, Dallas, but involving real people. I hope the movie doesn't perpetuate the conspiracy theories as that would be very hurtful for her sons who, strange as it might seem even to people here, appear to get on very well with their father and step-mother. The Royal Household does seem to have learned lessons from the Diana situation, although Catherine has an advantage of being older than Diana when she married, and of course William is one step further away from the succession than Charles so the pressure is a little bit less. However, there was one official visit that Catherine did not so long ago to a primary school; she was wearing very casual clothes and apparently some of the children were a bit disappointed that she wasn't dressed like a "princess".

I haven't seen the Margaret Thatcher movie, but probably will do when it airs on TV. Apparently, in some areas of the country where industries closed during her tenure, there were pickets at some of the movie theatres. We British might have a reputation of the "stiff upper lip", but there are many sections of the public who still adore Diana and still despise Thatcher.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

I sure appreciate yout input Libby. It's sad to say that most people dwell on the negative and the mistakes people may make, and not look at their accomplishments. It's easy to be critical when they're not the one in the spotlight and with all the pressures and pulls on a daily basis. It's definitely impossible to please everyone.

I thought the majority of the public adored Diana and that Lady Margaret was highly respected as Prime Minister. She has a better reputation here then Tony Blair has.

It really is a good thing that Catherine is older, and probably much more prepared for the public spotlight then Diana was. I totally agree, the royal family surely has learned lessons from the past. If not, they put up one heck of a good front.

Whether you like Lady Margaret or not, you just can't miss this movie, if for no other reason then to see Merle Streep's performance. She was awesome.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)