• Elders (Admins)

I've just watched an episode of House – "The C-Word", aired here on 3 May, in the US on 30 April. (I've got another episode already recorded that I've yet to watch.) Last autumn, I was just hanging on and watching this last season really just out of loyalty to a show that I'd been watching from the beginning. I think this is another show that suffered from being held on to by the bean counters for too long, and I wasn't overly impressed with the start of this final season. Plus, I'd been put off by the experience of following "Lost" to the very end; and that show was also given the rare opportunity of advance notice of their last season, and I was bitterly disappointed by how that ended.

But from the last couple of episodes, and especially the one I've just watched, I think that House will do a better job of wrapping up a story that's being going on for eight seasons. I don't think it will end well, but only in terms of the characters, as this is House, after all. I'm getting vibes both personally and from online speculation that the series finale will require a whole box of Kleenex – and I'm really not into the "weepies", but if "House" goes out in a strong yet emotional way, I'll think that's how it should end.

I think that in some ways, House and Frank are similar in that they have an unusual talent (however that talent came about) and their story is about how they coped with that and dealt with the people who don't have the capacity to understand how that kind of talent actually works.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BEER--->This coming Monday there will be a 2 hour conclusion of 'House'. A retrospect will be included at the end of the program. I hate to see the show go, but it has run it's course. Who knew a pill popping doctor would have gone this far.

BELCH

• Elders (Admins)

The retrospective is due be aired here in the UK next Thursday, with the finale presumably the Thursday after that.

Given the initial premise of the show - as you say, a pill popping doctor - it is rather strange that the show held on for eight years. I wonder if Hugh Laurie would have taken the role if he had guessed he would have to spend a large part of the year away from his family back in London for that length of time. But, then, I recall David Duchovny saying that when auditioning for the role of Mulder, he didn't expect the X-Files to go anywhere and look at what happened to that show.

I wonder what Hugh Laurie will do next. He's a very multi-talented guy

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

the show makes you think twice before heading off to the hospital. I say a modified "Shepards" prayer....thats Alan Shepard the astronaut....Please Lord don't let them "F" up!!

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

Well, I too am not a big fan of hospitals and pray I never had to be in another one ever again.

House, I watched some episodes, but for whatever reason, never became a fan of the show. Oh well. wacko.gif

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Randee: I well understand the concept of the Shepard's Prayer. I have had decreasing confidence in our National Health System here once the managers took over from the medics. Nurses these days are required to spend more time on paperwork than they do on patients, meaning that a lot of the good nurses have given up and left. Some years ago, I worked for a hospital consultant who was a really good guy. If he got a phone call from a GP wanting to fast-track a patient, the consultant would just tell me to slot that patient into an out-patient clinic; but that's impossible now because even consultants can't override the computer system.

Darlene: Not every show is for everybody. I got involved with the show because of the science, and only subsequently the characters. But, maybe this is a good place to ask this: As a Brit, I can't tell if Hugh Laurie's fake American accent sounds realistic. Would Americans have been able to tell from "House" that Hugh Laurie is actually British?

I've just discovered that the finale is tomorrow evening in the US, and this coming Thursday in the UK. I've got one more episode recorded, which I will watch tomorrow, and then the last ever episode this coming Thursday. I think I'll have to stock up on tissues before then.

Libby

• Elders (Admins)

Thanks, Beer. As a Brit, it's not easy for me to differentiate the various accents across the US. One of my history courses included an audio clip of Roosevelt and I wouldn't have guessed he was an American if I hadn't already known that. But, then, even in the UK, which is tiny in comparison to the USA, there are huge variations in accents.

I've now caught up with episodes of House, except for the finale. I now have no idea how it's going to end. I have engaged in discussions on another forum, where I mentioned the possibility of House and Wilson driving off into the sunset, but everyone interpreted that as a "Thelma and Louise" ending, which didn't help me as I've never watched that movie. I was thinking more of Frank and Jordan at the end of the MM finale, where there was sunshine and a rainbow, but we all knew that their future wasn't going to be an easy one.

Libby

BEER----> I wasn't sure whether to post this, but 'House' was shown last. Anyway, did anyone notice how the last "Sherlock Holmes" episode ended in the similar manner as the last "House" episode. It was even mentioned in the retrospect about the last names of each character were the same - 'H' and ''W'. Interesting my dear Watson.

BELCH

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines