Rate this topic

Guest Blueboy

Guest Blueboy

When asked if he was predicting the future, Ray Bradbury said, "No, I'm trying to prevent it."

His humor, insight and beautiful writing will be missed.

"We must move into the universe. Mankind must save itself. We must escape the danger of war and politics. We must become astronauts and go out into the universe and discover the God in ourselves.".

post-3707-0-90343800-1339119213_thumb.jp

I just watched a strange animated video about mankind being wiped out by a virus and the survivors go to sea on an ark. I went back to post it and now it's not available. I downloaded it, but not sure if I can upload it. Been having problems with Flash Player and Real Player conflicting. Kinda sorta got it fixed.

Ray Bradbury was an excellent writer. I have a lot of his work on DVD. Definitely he is missed.

• Elders (Moderators)

That was just amazing, as well as disturbing of course. "This is the way the world ends - not with a bang but a whimper." (TS Eliot) Although I'm not sure quite what Eliot was alluding to, having never read the poem.

The video does speak to the effect we humans have on the planet, whilst also showing that we don't really have the dominion over the earth that we think we do. The earth is more resilient than we are, exemplified by the fact that the planet has gone through so many changes and yet still is capable of sustaining life. In my lifetime, there have been occasions when it seemed we were on the brink of destruction. We managed to pull back from the political situation that could have led to the nuclear winter. Whether or not we're heading into yet another challenge, I would hope that now we have a better understanding because of global communication thanks to the internet. And we will figure out how to avert a disaster. Otherwise, those global positioning satellites will continue to receive and transmit signals to a planet of empty roads.

Hmmmm.

How an ancient civilization with a finite cyclical calendar can turn the world on its ear!

I'm sure there will be some panic in December. One of my favorite Millennium episodes is TEOTWAWKI. It, like several episodes in season 2, tends to leave the viewer with haunting feelings that something could happen. It would have made a cool season 4 episode.

rock2.gif

I'll come back to this, when I've had time to organize my thoughts. People have been heralding (sorry for the spelling) the end of the world for thousands of years. Every generation has it's own "doomsday". And, to refer to a Millennium line, every culture has it's own view on who's out to get them. "Black People say it's white people. White people say it's extraterrestrials...."

I'll come back to this topic, and filter everything through a "spell check", since I tend not to pay attention to typos when I'm following a train of thought. Oo.gif

Whenever I hear predictions of doomsday or Great Changes Are Coming, I think back to that exchange between Jose Chung and Frank Black, when Frank says, "Personally, I think this is a very significant time in mankind's history." Chung replies, "But that's what every man throughout history has said about his time."

Maybe this time they'll be right, but I think not. I'd love to see some great positive change, but on December 21, I'll go about my day as usual, confident nothing special will happen, because we, myself included, aren't making it happen. It's up to us. Always has been. imo